drying soap/new recipe/HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debidebi

Reaction score
I made soapyesterday (crock pot method) with a new recipe ;-
113.3g coconut oil
1474.17g canola oil
850.4g lard
750ml water
347g lye

I cut it into bars after 15 hours and it is still quite 'sticky' where the wax paper has been but the top part exposed to air over the 15 hours is much harder...
what can i do to quicken up the 'drying / hardening' stage? has anyone ever tried putting it in the low heat oven and drying it like meringues/rusks etc... will the sunshine bring it on quicker? i have a bar out in the sun as an experiment...
Ive always used crock pot and made a good number of bnatches already but this one is just different...hope it isnt a dud as i cant bear to throw it out.
any comments?

Hi!

Do you live in a humid climate? It might be worth investing in a dehumidifier to place in the room you cure your bars in. You can also use a fan. After saying all of that - 15 hours is very little time. Some people can't even un-mold by then. Set them out, take a breath and take another look in a few days. Time cures many soap problems.

Since you HPed this batch, cutting in 15 hours sounds like plenty of time to cool the soap, and for it to set. Did you use more water this time? Some batches are like that I have found HPing. Give it a few days with plenty of air circulation, turning every day or two, and it should start to dry out and feel firm, not sticky.

Paul

Thanks for your replies..will wait a few days and not hold my breath any more...I may have slipped up with the canola oil measurements by around 50g...

Marr said:
Hi!

Do you live in a humid climate? It might be worth investing in a dehumidifier to place in the room you cure your bars in. You can also use a fan. After saying all of that - 15 hours is very little time. Some people can't even un-mold by then. Set them out, take a breath and take another look in a few days. Time cures many soap problems.

oh yes...Durban south Africa..but winter is coming on ..will look for a dehumidifyer..thanksx

I use a dehumidifier in my soap room closet. I bought a small one last fall when they went on sale. I have racks in my closet for the soaps, and leave the dehumidifier on. I only open the door to the closet when the water needs to be dumped, or I need to add/take out soap. I can get my CP soaps out in 4 weeks using this. It works great. :wink:

Paul

debidebi said:
I cut it into bars after 15 hours and it is still quite 'sticky' where the wax paper has been but the top part exposed to air over the 15 hours is much harder...
I have only one small suggestion for you. It's not clear from your above statement whether your bars are flat on the waxed paper. I stand my bars up on end to expose the maximum area to air. The first few days I rotate them daily, then at less frequent intervals. Try that if you're not already doing it.

Another alternative is to use a wire rack or mesh, but I've been concerned that it might leave marks in the end product. Has anybody done this and noticed marks from the rack?

My racks are plastic. They are kinda, sorta like the wire design, with more X marks between the plastic lines. KWIM?

Paul :wink:

Lovehound said:
debidebi said:
I have only one small suggestion for you. It's not clear from your above statement whether your bars are flat on the waxed paper. I stand my bars up on end to expose the maximum area to air. The first few days I rotate them daily, then at less frequent intervals. Try that if you're not already doing it.

Another alternative is to use a wire rack or mesh, but I've been concerned that it might leave marks in the end product. Has anybody done this and noticed marks from the rack?

Hi there..My bars are standing up straight on wax paper now in a shallow wood box with quite a lot of air circulating....will look for plastic racks...Thanks guys..this group is great!!!

Back