Drying rack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loriag

Reaction score
Just bought a lovely chrome steal shelving unit from Costco for a drying rack. Can soap sit directly on chrome steal? or will I need plastic in between?

If you are going to use plastic you need something with holes in it so the soap can breath all round. Some people use cross stitch fabric that is made from plastic - so small regular holes.

Do I have to rotate the soap as often if I am using cotton or cross stitch fabric? Which is better, cotton or plastic?

That looks like my shelf from Costco but mine is chrome plated steel with extra moveable shelves. So I will have to look for the plastic mesh. That was going to be what I was thinking of using as it was. Thanks this will be great, even though I enjoy rotating a looking at my soaps daily right now, I don't want it to feel like a chore as there is more and more soaps!

I just use paper towels. I also write on the PT the date and scent and such on it. I to rotate and turn every few days .

I got the 6 shelf for $79 ! great deal in the store. Need to go buy more.

I use large sheets of oil resistant sandwich wrap from a restaurant supply, this way I do not have to wash plastic sheets, I just throw them away and line with new sheets. I am not one to turn soaps and never have problems with them curing sitting on the paper

This is it for $99 at Costco

Attachments

• 6AF34E7E-D9CF-45E4-B572-7327344A186F.jpeg
    6AF34E7E-D9CF-45E4-B572-7327344A186F.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 55
Your Avatar dones't say where you are so I am guessing it is a regional thing :smallshrug:
$89 online but $30 for shipping which is odd since I thought they always had free shipping
But I got them at the local Costco for $79. Darn it I better go out FAST to get them !! and no they were not on sale.
This is mine, the same as I turn around from my chair, sorry it is a bad shot :videovisit:
20180422_101434[1].jpg

We kept some shelving like that when we closed our restaurant. We use them in the basement & garage for organized storage. If I were to use them for curing soap, I'd also use stacking trays such as bread trays or soda pop trays, and stack them on top of each other on the shelves. Those kinds of trays are made of plastic, have lots of holes to provide for air-flow and can be found at thrift stores for a real bargain price sometimes. I have a few such trays that I use for soap curing. Here is a link with an example of what I am talking about.

Your Avatar dones't say where you are so I am guessing it is a regional thing :smallshrug:
$89 online but $30 for shipping which is odd since I thought they always had free shipping
But I got them at the local Costco for $79. Darn it I better go out FAST to get them !! and no they were not on sale.
This is mine, the same as I turn around from my chair, sorry it is a bad shot :videovisit:
View attachment 30010
I’m in Canada and have to travel to the major centres for good shopping.

AHH, well that makes sense as to the price increase :)

@earlene I have been looking for used trays like those. For now I just use paper towels until I can find trays free or uber cheap.

Lin19687, if you are lucky and browse the second hand stores periodically like I do, maybe you will find some uber cheap. I picked up at least 4 or 5 by doing so. But the stock is so varied, it's totally unpredictable what you may find on any given day in any given second-hand shop. When I travel, I look for them too. I have even learned that if there is only one available, I can clean it in a bathtub and let it dry overnight, then it fits into my suitcase perfectly, then I re-pack to put all my clothes back in the suitcase and it takes up no more added space in my car. At least that's been true with the soda-pop can sized ones. I haven't actually found any of the bread-sized ones yet.

But I started out using corrugated box lids as my drying trays. I line them with plastic mesh and stack them on top of each other as needed. I use whatever I can find at the grocer's that would make a nice sized drying tray, which means they vary in size of course. When I stack them, it's kind of a kiddy-corner type stacking, and usually only about two or three high. On shelving racks like you have, that can work as well, so long as you don't hinder air-flow.

I'm an avid thrift store shopper. In fact I work with adults with developmental disabilities and part of the work environment is working at our thrift store. So I am pretty lucky in finding amazing deals, have not come across any wracks but I will definitely watch for them.

@earlene THANKS !
Some works for a restaurant, he is going to find out if they have a deposit on the trays, if not he is going to get me some. I might score some near a grocery store out back near the dumpster. I'm going to ask if they are throwing them out.

I set my soap on plastic lattice that you would buy from a building centre. Not the large hole lattice, the lattice with the 1 inch holes. My husband cut them to fit the shelving. I never turn my soaps.

I use large sheets of oil resistant sandwich wrap from a restaurant supply, this way I do not have to wash plastic sheets, I just throw them away and line with new sheets. I am not one to turn soaps and never have problems with them curing sitting on the paper
This is how the landfills get full. I would prefer to use something that can be reused.

Back