Drying rack issue or something else

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Here is the pic of my feb hiddeb heart challenge which seems to be still soft n now sweating.. I have changed the drying area.
Trying to figure out what might be causin this.
Also is sweating during cure good sign of drying

IMG_20180318_122517.jpg
IMG_20180318_122509.jpg
IMG_20180318_122502.jpg

What are the storing conditions. Is it hot and humid? That could cause sweating. However, softness would likely be your recipe as well as your lye concentration. May just take longer to harden

It has 70% soft oils... Thats the place is hot tats y i kept it in the open closet n keep the fan on...
Also the other soaps kept in the same area fine. Which are new

70% soft oils will result in a soft soap. You’ll just need to cure them longer
Yes shunt i understand tat. My question is. Is that sweating normal.during cure. Or should i change my drying area.

Ive been soaping for a year but havent experienced this earlier.

No, not normal in my experience. Mine will sometimes put off a little sweat when it’s super humid outside at shows. Never had them sweat at home while curing

Hard to see but I think I might be glycerin dew. It’s harmless. I sometimes get it in the summer. If I’m not gifting I tend to leave it to dry out on its own.

I had one soap I made that sweat quite a lot and continued to do so for quite a long time, in fact the few bars I still have from that batch still sweat. I am still unsure exactly what was the cause, as I have used the same formula many times without this sweating. At first I thought it was heat & humidity in my house, but it continued to sweat year round when neither heat nor humidity are an issue. I later discovered that this soap stops sweating once it is in use and allowed to dry normally between use. The other bars that still sit open to the air with other curing soaps remain unchanged.

It seems quite odd to me that only one batch using this recipe has ever done this, but at least the others have not, so it doesn't worry me any more like it used to. I have concluded that either it was an anomaly or possibly the added sugar I forgot to document the exact amount used in that particular batch.

Back