Drying CP Soap In The Oven

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olga

Reaction score
I have been making soap for a year in small quantities - this is the 32nd batch (all CP) and they have all hardened within 24-36 hours, at least enough to be unmolded and hold shape. Just plain olive oil etc., nothing fancy like some of the soap I have seen here.

It may be the lye, it may be the weather, it may be me, but my luck seems to be going. I made a batch of CP soap yesterday (silicone mold) which seems very slow to "take" and I am wondering if I could "hurry it up" a little by placing it in the oven at about 100 degrees for a few hours to dry/harden it a bit faster, allowing me to decide if it should be scrapped. This is the most important question for me, as I need to figure out today, if I must start over.

The second question is about sodium hydroxide. My lye crystals are a year old. Does lye absorb water from the air? When buying large quantities of lye -- six pounds only available when I purchased -- should what remains be put into a smaller container as the volume remaining goes down?

Thanks, for listening -- this seems like a forum with knowledgeable soapers.

olga said:
The second question is about sodium hydroxide. My lye crystals are a year old. Does lye absorb water from the air? When buying large quantities of lye -- six pounds only available when I purchased -- should what remains be put into a smaller container as the volume remaining goes down?

YES! Lye will absorb water form the air. The best way to telll if this has happened is if your lye has "chunks" in it. The moisture will cause the lye to stick to each other and make clumps.

I would like to know about drying CP soap in the oven too! when you find out, be sure to let us know! :0)

Latest posts

Back