Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do
You normally let them cure? My soaps are stored in a fairly cold shelf they’ve been sitting there since February. I like your shelf lol
Thanks, I love it!! I think he got tired of finding soap curing in strange places lol! The longest I’ve cured a batch was a year, but that was for 100% olive oil/Castile soap, it was worth the wait! I usually cure cold process at least 3 months. I test them starting at 6 weeks, then every week after until they feel right. I’m a red head with sensitive, fair skin so it’s a must for me! My CPOP soap is usually ready sooner..

Are you using hand protection when you are making your soap? I've gotten in a soap making rush for Christmas, meaning I was making a batch everynight for a week. I wore my gloves some of the time, but my hands did get some exposure - a bit of raw soap batter, wiping the counter, handling the raw logs of soap - that all my fingernails got brittle and broke. So, I suggest you wear gloves always. Don't even handle the raw soap with ungloved hands.

Are you using hand protection when you are making your soap? I've gotten in a soap making rush for Christmas, meaning I was making a batch everynight for a week. I wore my gloves some of the time, but my hands did get some exposure - a bit of raw soap batter, wiping the counter, handling the raw logs of soap - that all my fingernails got brittle and broke. So, I suggest you wear gloves always. Don't even handle the raw soap with ungloved hands.
2nd this! I use the thick dishwashing gloves for the making and thinner disposable gloves for cutting. Also learned the hard way when rushed for time, ended up with dry, itchy, irritated skin.

Hi yes I do. I only get the dry skin after 4-6 weeks of cure when I try the soaps. It was different type of dryness compared to my very first batch when I tried to clean the container with bare hands afterwards.

2nd this! I use the thick dishwashing gloves for the making and thinner disposable gloves for cutting. Also learned the hard way when rushed for time, ended up with dry, itchy, irritated skin.
My skin is not Itchy when I try these soaps. They just make mine dry after the standard cure timeframe. I use gloves whenever I make the soaps. I only had an irritated skin when i did the first batch and I tried to wash the container with my bare hands. Now, I normally let the remaining soap batter in the container for weeks till I wash them so they have already turned into soap and just need warm water. No oily surfaces.

It might be worth while for you to do a test batch of some different 100% soaps, let them age 8 weeks, and then try. Start with the major oils - lard, tallow, palm, olive. See if a bar made from 100% of those irritates your skin.

I'd also try some coconut-free recipes.

My skin is not Itchy when I try these soaps. They just make mine dry after the standard cure timeframe. I use gloves whenever I make the soaps. I only had an irritated skin when i did the first batch and I tried to wash the container with my bare hands. Now, I normally let the remaining soap batter in the container for weeks till I wash them so they have already turned into soap and just need warm water. No oily surfaces.
Yes, only when overdoing without gloves is when my skin got super irritated! Lesson learned! With the soap, it’s mainly drying but not irritating. As for washing soap dishes, have you tried mixing a little l-limonene in your dish soap? Just let it soak and it cuts the oils awesome!

It might be worth while for you to do a test batch of some different 100% soaps, let them age 8 weeks, and then try. Start with the major oils - lard, tallow, palm, olive. See if a bar made from 100% of those irritates your skin.

I'd also try some coconut-free recipes.
Rice bran also makes a great %100 bar!

Latest posts

Back