Dry Scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)

I've always wanted to make sugar scrubs but there seemed so many stumbling blocks that I haven't been inclined to crawl under (afraid of heights). You know, to preserve or not to preserve, not introducing water, ect... well perhaps not ect as I believe those where the only two that tripped me up.

However I've been wondering about Dry scrubs and if they would work. I've an awful lot of gardeners in my family so this would be something to sit by the sink, not go into the shower so I don't believe the water issue would be a big deal. Has anyone made a dry sugar scrub? I would like to search the forums but the word dry is too common and after that you get into regular scrub territory.

What I'm basically thinking is grated (and then food processed a ton so it's tiny) soap and some sugar or salt, maybe a bit of essential oil or something else I'm not thinking of at the moment. I could put it in shaker jars and the recipient could sprinkle them on the hands before washing. Thus no reaching into the jars.

This would be something fairly easy to test out but as it's not gardening season and I'm a wimp at the idea of cold dirt I can't really put it through it's paces. And you guys are all so wonderful and creative, I'm hoping that perhaps someone else has tried something similar to this and could let me know what they found. Even if it didn't work out. (Though I would prefer if it did)

I have never tried it, but it sounds like a cool idea, you could give it a go with some potting soil?

Does it have to be a dry scrub? Would a bar of gardener's soap or exfoliating soap work? Sugar/salt scrubs aren't very effective without the oil component, in my experience. The exfoliants need some sort of "lube" to get a good scrub and water dissolves salts/sugars--making it hard for them to really clean. (I don't use water in my scrubs because, to me, it just creates extra work without extra benefit.) In the lab setting, we used to have a dry scrub we could use if we spilled an oily chemical got on our skin--but it only worked on oil-based chemicals. We tried using it to get dye off, but it didn't do anything until we used some liquid soap.

If the concern is bacteria, maybe a scrub brush (something that can be disinfected) and a good soap might work. Or maybe a dry rub and some liquid soap. They could remain separate until actually on the hands and there would be no chance of cross-contamination.

Good luck!

Yes, you can make a "dry" scrub, I would suggest putting some fresh CP soap through a fine grater, maybe even a food processor or coffee grinder, and you can add some sugar, some milk powder and/or honey powder, all sorts of goodies. You can make an amazing face scrub too (just be very gentle!). And yes, your idea of keeping it in a shaker and just sifting out a little at a time will work great. I know I have seen recipes somewhere, I will look and post links if I can find them.

If you want to keep it really really super simple, just put some sugar in a sifter jar, put some soap on your hands, then add a bit of sugar. Easiest scrub ever and it works!

I like this concept too. Adding scrubbies to bar soap works fine as long as you only need to scrub the flatter surfaces of the body. But hands are tougher -- it's nearly impossible to rub the scrubbies from a soap bar into the creases and crevices of the hands. I think that's why "Goop" and similar gel or lotion products are popular with mechanics. A powdered type of soap with scrubbies might not work too good in humid weather though -- I bet it will cake up with higher humidity. I'll be following this thread with a lot of interest.

Last edited:
I made the Mechanics scrup from WSP's site for my husband as he's a machinist and gets pretty grubby. Granted it's made with M&P soap and foaming bath whip but let me tell you, he took a jar to work and I'm selling it like hotcakes. It's turned out to be pretty amazing. I have women buying it for their feet too. I use it after gardening and even on my feet and love it. I have one customer who buys it 3 jars at a time as she doesn't want to run out.

At our house we just have a jar of corn meal by the back sink to sprinkle on if needed, but I really like your idea. This is what I use when I want really fine grated soap and it's fast
. image.jpg

I made the Mechanics scrup from WSP's site for my husband as he's a machinist and gets pretty grubby. Granted it's made with M&P soap and foaming bath whip but let me tell you, he took a jar to work and I'm selling it like hotcakes. It's turned out to be pretty amazing. I have women buying it for their feet too. I use it after gardening and even on my feet and love it. I have one customer who buys it 3 jars at a time as she doesn't want to run out.

I know this is an old post but I know your still here! Thank goodness!! lol - Do you still make this? Im thinking of trying it. Still love it?

I know this is an old post but I know your still here! Thank goodness!! lol - Do you still make this? Im thinking of trying it. Still love it?

Yes, I make it mostly for my husband and the guys at his shop these days. I do keep a handful at my shows for my regulars. I use 10x orange in it.

Latest posts

Back