dry hand after olive oil soap ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Hello evryone !
I work with a lot of castille based soap, generally with a low superfat (for the lather). After using them my hand feel dry and wrinkly. Do you have the same problem with theses soap ?

Have a nice day !

Can you post your recipe for your soap. Additionally, how old is the soap?
the soap is a 100% OO with 5% KOH / 95% NaOH alkaline solution, 1% superfat. I used CPOP and it cured for 2 weeks in an oven (50°C)

I agree, give your soap more time to cure. Castille soap needs several months to cure to be the best it can be. Two weeks is not time enough for soap to cure, even regular bars. CP soap gets milder as it cures.

Olive oil soap is not always kind to everyone's skin. This kind of soap (soap high in oleic acid) is very soluble in water. When there is a lot of soap on the skin, even mild soap, the result can be dryness and irritation.

A long cure is good for olive oil soap in part because the long cure time reduces the solubility of soap. Less solubility -> less soap on the skin -> less cleansing -> less dryness, less irritation

Have you tried a soap that has more stearic and palmitic acids in it -- in other words, a soap with some palm or lard or tallow or a butter (cocoa, shea, etc.)? This soap is less soluble than 100% olive oil soap, and it may work better for your skin.

Same here.
I've switched all the olive oil in my recipes to rice bran oil.

My regular Castiles are close to a year, and my Castile with faux seawater just turned one and my skin, especially my poor hands, still doesn't like em.

It's a little surprising how many of use aren't that keen on true (enough) castiles. I'm personally fine using avocado and rice bran oils without the olive oil. :p

Same here.
I've switched all the olive oil in my recipes to rice bran oil.

My regular Castiles are close to a year, and my Castile with faux seawater just turned one and my skin, especially my poor hands, still doesn't like em.

Did you make CP or HP Castile soap?

I am going to try Castile hp soap as soon as I get my butt to Costco and buy another 6 liters of of olive oil.
Mine's here if you wanna see how it went. Didn't superfat, and used way letter than the usual HP amount of 3:1. After a year, personally, it hasn't gotten much better than how it was the first few months in terms of skin feel.

Thanks for the link. Looks like my next batch will be Castile. I did make a batch of 75% olive oil HP soap back in late September and it took about 2 weeks for the bars to be hard enough to ship down to FL, so I'm expecting the soap to take even longer to harden.

I find it interesting and puzzling that so many have to wait a year for a Castile to be nice. I used Zany's recipe w/ a bit of lavendin EO & kaolin & had a nice, mild soap after 2-3 months. I've been using it on my face even, and it's been the best face wash I've ever used.

I checked my notes and it was made Sept 18, 2019. I tried it a month later b/c I lack patience, but by Nov 20 it was bubbly and not drying. Note I'm almost 42, live in Michigan, have Hashimoto's (gives me dry skin) and have to use the lightest of moisturizers or else I break out badly.

Thanks for the link. Looks like my next batch will be Castile. I did make a batch of 75% olive oil HP soap back in late September and it took about 2 weeks for the bars to be hard enough to ship down to FL, so I'm expecting the soap to take even longer to harden.
My HP one took about 4-5 hrs with that little water. Anywhere upwards of 2:1 might take longer I think.
I find it interesting and puzzling that so many have to wait a year for a Castile to be nice.
Right?
I don't know.. Could be just my skin. My mother doesn't mind the Castile, and my dad has been using Zany's one for a few months now and he likes it too.

well this blew up !
Thank you for your responses !
High oléic acid are so frustrating : oleic acid is one of the easiest acid to find in oil produced in my country but I really don't like castille :( I would love to decrease my carbon footprint by using locally produce soap but it's just not possible ...

Back