Droplets on top of unmolded soap--ZAP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprice522

Reaction score
So, I made 2 soaps yesterday and one came out fine, a little soft after 24hr so I am letting it set longer, especially since I un molded too soft stuff last time and they looked crummier then I'd like.

The second has golden droplets like dew on top after 15 hrs or so...darn it they zapped me!

I knew to check for zap because I read a lot here, but really hoped it was from the honey.

I did 700g, 50/50 lard/OO with a heaping teaspoon of kaolin clay (first time using) and 21g of EO (lime/rosemary--3:1 ratio)

I did the soapcalc with their standard 38% water and a 5sf

266g water--actually full aloe
91.5 NaOH

I am making a castile and a 100 lard to do testing on what I like and to see if I can even tell a difference with things and thought I would try a mix of them....

But since I knew it wouldn't be a bubbly soap, I thought to add honey, about 1 T, added at trace since I forgot it earlier at lye water time.

I did split the batter and made some green mica swirls and used TD (.5t each?) mixed in a squirt of glycerine.

I hoped the droplets were honey problems, but after letting it set for a few hours hoping it would just absorb back in and be fine, the droplets were still there and I touched a tiny bit to my tongue. OUCH-- My first zap.

So, what are my options? Why did this happen? Did I just miss measure something? will it end up a zappy soap? Did I make some very fresh laundry soap? (I think that might not be the best idea since I read that OO makes poor laundry)...
Do I need to re batch? I saw the other person's post on how to do it and would follow the instructions there... just hoping I don't have to and you will all tell me that it will end up fine... ???? :) ???? *crossing fingers***

I wouldn't rebatch yet - I've had zappy droplets on top of mine on occasion especially if I've zapped quite soon as you have. I would leave it and see if the droplets get absorbed again

Ditto what the others have said. I have that happen every so often and it always re-absorbs and turns out well. If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened with the batch I unmolded and cut today. lol

IrishLass :)

I had this happen recently and it took a while, like almost a week, for the drops to reabsorb on my cut bars...or they just evaporated after all that time.
I was really nervous about it and zap tested most of the loaf haha. It was just fine

Now at 38 hrs the droplets are gone and I took a little lick and no zap. Phew!!
I will unmold and cut and see what it looks like on the inside some time this evening when the family no longer needs me for the night

Thank you all for your help!

I love that phrase..."I took a little lick". That would sound so crazy to anyone except people here!!! :razz:

Back