Drop method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if someone could tell me how the effect of a drop in soap is achieved. Is it the same way you do a tear drop technique or can you do it with a high drop into a batter mix?

I have tried both methods and can't seem to get it.

drop.jpg

I have some plastic squeeze bottles with a longish, maybe an inch and a half long, pointy, "spout" on them. I've always intended to try some kind of soaping technique with them. I'm wondering if you could fill one with the colored batter, insert the spout into the soap in the mold, (the white soap, in the picture) squeeze out a bit of the colored batter, withdraw the spout, leaving behind the thin trail of colored batter. What do you think?

Last edited:
Do you mean the tear drop technique that was the great cakes challenge for may? If so there are a bunch of yt videos on it from the entries. I know Kevin Devine had one.

Do you mean the tear drop technique that was the great cakes challenge for may? If so there are a bunch of yt videos on it from the entries. I know Kevin Devine had one.

Yes I tried that but I think I am looking for a simpler method. People seem to be able to do it in just soaps that they've mixed with a drop and pour.

I'm not sure navigator9's tip will result in the line above back to the top. Maybe it has to be done with the tear drop method. (which I can't achieve yet)

Last edited:
Just throwing out an idea here... Since it looks like a drop that has been pulled through, how about laying down a line of color across the mold, lay down a skewer (with thread/string on either end - like a mini hanger tool) and sink the skewer into the drop a little. Finish pouring your main color and then slowly pull the skewer up, leaving a little trail of color coming out of the top of the drop. One skewer for each drop.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, so take the following suggestions with a grain of salt!
I at first thought that navigator's idea would do it, but this would result in drops throughout the soap, not necessarily where the cuts would be. Your picture shows that the teardrops extend all the way down the length of the loaf.
Having done the teardrop from the May GreatCakes challenge method, i can tell you that it does work to bring the line all the way up for just one teardrop. But only for one, not multiples as in the pictured soap.
I think the only way to get the same effect with multiple teardrops is to lay down the drop color in a line after pouring some base, position and fasten a thin hanger in that line, then perhaps pour some more drop color over the hanger. Pour base until you get to the level of the next teardrop you want and repeat with another hanger. Last of all, pull each hanger straight up.
I would think that batter consistency would be key, as the rounded shape of the teardrop is affected by how easily the batter in those thin lines spreads out after laying them down. The May challenge achieved this shape by the side pour "pushing" the teardrop into an ever thinner line as you fill up to the top. With hangers, you'd be "pulling" the drop batter upward.

Just throwing out an idea here... Since it looks like a drop that has been pulled through, how about laying down a line of color across the mold, lay down a skewer (with thread/string on either end - like a mini hanger tool) and sink the skewer into the drop a little. Finish pouring your main color and then slowly pull the skewer up, leaving a little trail of color coming out of the top of the drop. One skewer for each drop.

This is kind of how you do the hidden feather.

Latest posts

Back