Dripping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyk

Reaction score
Hi, can someone tell me what Pure Dripping is?

They have it at my local supermarket and it is pure white in colour.
I went there to buy some lard but it was very soft, even with it in the refrigerator so I decided to buy the Dripping.

Thanks

Does it give an ingredient list? What color is it? I am thinking it is a play on words from rendering some type of fat.

Drippings makes me think of what is left after frying for gravy making. Mmmmmm......

Digit

No it doesn't have ingredients, only to say its Animal Fat.

Here are some pic's. As you can see it is snow white in colour.

I don't know where you are located in the world, but in the UK Dripping is beef fat and Lard is pork fat.

Edited to add : Beef fat is what you would use when a recipe calls for 'tallow'

Thanks guys,

I sort of thought that.

Question though, Lard that you buy from the shops, should it be hard or soft when refrigerated?

It should be fairly hard, it will not be as hard as the 'dripping'. But the consistency seems to be somewhat variable from batch to batch from the supermarket shelves. Sometimes it can have a softer feel to it and have a slightly translucent look to it, other times it is harder and whiter.

crazyk said:
Question though, Lard that you buy from the shops, should it be hard or soft when refrigerated?
The lard I buy (Farmer John's brand) is just slightly less viscous than butter at any temperature. It quickly melts on my hands or with any handling, but is easy to spoon out even when cold from the refrigerator. I'm sure it would completely melt on a hot day.

I buy lard in the pound size and try to organize my batches to utilize the entire pound.

Latest posts

Back