Dried Calendula Off Scent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the calendula I have been picking, drying, and storing in an air-tight container all summer has developed a scent similar to Old Bay seasoning (which contains mostly paprika and cayenne)? This has never happened to me before and I cannot find anything online to explain it. I am using the same container I have always used without this happening.

Thanks for your reply. Not all that experienced and the same thought had crossed my mind. If that is the case, do you think the calendula can be redeemed or is it no longer usable?

If it smells bad from humidity then I don't think it could be saved as it's likely mildew. Since I can't see and smell it, I don't know. It's the only thing I could think of if there was no chance of spray on the plant.

Thanks for your help. So discouraging. I've collected so much this summer. It's a shame to throw it all away. At least we have a few weeks left to collect more.

if it hasnt gone too far you might be able to gently oven dry the petals
use the same temperature and times as for CPOPing
calendula petals overheat easily

discard any visibly discoloured petals

spread the petals out on a baking tray lined with a cotton tea towel in a single layer
heat the oven to 100c and turn it off
put the petal tray in the oven and leave them in until the oven cools

Thanks, Marsi. I have them outside in the sun covered with cheesecloth right now. I do want to be sure they are safe to use before I infused them in oil for lotions and soaps.

sun will fade the petals through the cloth
cheesecloth is a great idea
have you got a breezy walkway that is bright but no direct sun?
that would work best for drying delicate petals
(cheesecloth over tomatoes dry well in full sun - so a good technique for some products :))

if you want to be very particular
use your fresh batch of dried petals for lotion infusing
and keep this batch for oils for soaping :thumbs:

If they are moist (from humidity), once you start the oil infusion, you will see mold growth on your infusion.

Do you only air dry outside? I cannot do that here because it is far too humid during the months that I can gather any botanicals. I cannot even air dry inside my house. I have to use my oven to dry botanicals in order to infuse them; if I don't I get mold growth.

Hi Earlene. I usually dry them inside (with the AC running) on a raised screen. I cover them with cheesecloth or very thin fabric to keep away stray flies or any other insects that may find their way inside the house. It usually works well. I think this time I may not have let some of them dry as long as I usually do before I added them to the already dried flowers.

Latest posts

Back