Dremel stir attachment - anyone have one for mixing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I've looked for some kind of stir attachment for my dremel and have come up empty. I made one with 4 blades (old coin cut in 4 quarters & hole in middle - attached to steel rod) but it is very difficult to balance so it can't go to high speeds.

I did find that this little mixer works better than the 2 stick blenders that I have. I think it is because it doesn't have the protective dome cover over the blade so it doesn't form that air bubble when it has been mixing under the soap for a little while (does anyone understand this or does this only happen to me...) You would know when the air pocket has formed around the blade b/c the blade speeds up suddenly and the liquid just about stops flowing out of the sides of the dome.

Anyway, I'm looking for a stir blade and if there aren't any made, I might have some blades cut and make my own. If you have seen these or know where to find them, LMK please.

why re-invent the stick blender?

I've looked for some kind of stir attachment for my dremel and have come up empty. I made one with 4 blades (old coin cut in 4 quarters & hole in middle - attached to steel rod) but it is very difficult to balance so it can't go to high speeds.

I did find that this little mixer works better than the 2 stick blenders that I have. I think it is because it doesn't have the protective dome cover over the blade so it doesn't form that air bubble when it has been mixing under the soap for a little while (does anyone understand this or does this only happen to me...) You would know when the air pocket has formed around the blade b/c the blade speeds up suddenly and the liquid just about stops flowing out of the sides of the dome.

Anyway, I'm looking for a stir blade and if there aren't any made, I might have some blades cut and make my own. If you have seen these or know where to find them, LMK please.

why re-invent the stick blender?

I don't like the dome above the stick blenders, or the fact that I can't pick anywhere from 500-35,000 rpm. The dremel blows away stick blenders even with the little coin blade attachment I built. It is a lot better for small batches where I can't use a stick blender. on something like a 4 oz test batch with hard to mix oils, or with blending powder colorants or fragrances, this works much better than a stick blender. It's much smaller in diameter.

I know that there are some attachments made to fit on a drill to mix paint. I don't know specifically about a Dremel, though.

There's nothing about stirring on the Dremel web page, so my guess is it's probably not a suggested use.

Has anyone ever used a hand mixer w/ a "blending rod," (basically a disk style immersion blender w/out a cowl) for making soap? Example

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a stick mixer with a cowl and put it in slowly at an angle and never lift it above the top of the oils you should avoid air bubbles.

I have read the some of the expensive stick mixers create tiny air bubbles when they go very fast. It seems cheap is best when it comes to making soap. : )

If you use a stick mixer with a cowl and put it in slowly at an angle and never lift it above the top of the oils you should avoid air bubbles.

I have read the some of the expensive stick mixers create tiny air bubbles when they go very fast. It seems cheap is best when it comes to making soap. : )

I've tried everything and mine still does it. I had 2 mixers and my better one is the one that does it most often. I think it is the speed.

The air bubbles are caused by cavitation at the tips of the blade. It creates many microscopic whirlpools and eventually a vacuum pocket which somehow eventually created a larger air bubble (I think from sucking in oil from outside the dome, that has air bubbles). This is similar to what happens with ships & submarine propellers when they spin fast.

Latest posts

Back