Dove soap! Good or bad? Os it a syndet bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie89

Reaction score
Just wondering wvertones opinions on dove soap? Is it dage to wash ur face in? Is it the same as a syndett soap can it be ised on your hair Iv attached a pic of the ingredients I sont know if they are food or bad?

Attachments

• c8229d8b-a538-4d5f-8916-a2ca5f0e6911_1.c22bde9b869c5c752d882486dee33a48.jpeg
    c8229d8b-a538-4d5f-8916-a2ca5f0e6911_1.c22bde9b869c5c752d882486dee33a48.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 49
Hi there. Depends what you mean by 'good' or 'bad'.
It used to be the only soap I could use on my face before I started making my own soap. Now I only use my own goatmilk and oatmeal soap as no commercial product comes anywhere close to it.

Why would you want to use it on your hair? Have a look at this article for more information on using soap instead of shampoo:
http://curious-soapmaker.com/soap-as-shampoo.html

Just seen the other thread you've started on Dove soap, so am replying here instead of duplicating.

Dove soap is a lye based product. Sodium tallowate, sodium palmitate, sodium stearate are all salts of fatty acids that are created as a result of saponification of tallow, palm oil and strearic acid with lye.
Here is a Soaping 101 video on Youtube that tries to replicate the Dove soap recipe at home:

Its a blend of soap and syndet. You can use it on your hair if you want, my gramma has been for a couple years now. I really don't think it will be any better than a mild shampoo. Have you looked at trying a sulfate free shampoo?

Personally, I wouldn't try that dupe. I was going to follow the recipe but it seems harsh too me. I know my skin couldn't take it.

Hi there. Depends what you mean by 'good' or 'bad'.
It used to be the only soap I could use on my face before I started making my own soap. Now I only use my own goatmilk and oatmeal soap as no commercial product comes anywhere close to it.

Why would you want to use it on your hair? Have a look at this article for more information on using soap instead of shampoo:
http://curious-soapmaker.com/soap-as-shampoo.html
I just wanted something that was less damaging to my hair! More natural! Your soaps sound nice is there anywhere I can see a recipe

Its a blend of soap and syndet. You can use it on your hair if you want, my gramma has been for a couple years now. I really don't think it will be any better than a mild shampoo. Have you looked at trying a sulfate free shampoo?

Personally, I wouldn't try that dupe. I was going to follow the recipe but it seems harsh too me. I know my skin couldn't take it.
I always use sulphate free it just doesn't seem to work for me:( my hair is so dry and frizzy

Can you name one or two of the shampoos that you have used and didn’t work? What conditioners do you use? Nothing works like whipped Shea, some coconut oil and a dash of Avocado oil for softening dry hair.

Let’s try to reverse engineer a product that might help.

ETA: I hope you know natural doesn’t really mean better? And synthetics are not evil. Look at Castor oil for example, some people swear by it but one or two of its seed could kill a child. Just saying.

I just wanted something that was less damaging to my hair! More natural! Your soaps sound nice is there anywhere I can see a recipe

I just wanted to point out that "more natural" and "less damaging" aren't going to automatically be the same thing. As noted elsewhere, sometimes the synthetic is safer or gentler than the so-called natural thing.

Can you name one or two of the shampoos that you have used and didn’t work? What conditioners do you use? Nothing works like whipped Shea, some coconut oil and a dash of Avocado oil for softening dry hair.

Let’s try to reverse engineer a product that might help.

ETA: I hope you know natural doesn’t really mean better? And synthetics are not evil. Look at Castor oil for example, some people swear by it but one or two of its seed could kill a child. Just saying.
Iv used alterna cavier moisture shampoo, morrocan oil, palmers coco and olive shampoo! Whipped shea? Sounds intrestinf I make a body cream by whipping shea butter with avacado, coco and almond oil its great for my skin! Can I put that in my hair? Would it not make it greasy? Conditioners I tend to use whichever comes with the shampoo, or I have used hemp oil or almond! Avacado I soaked my hair in overnight but it went so dry it was strange! Aslo I tried castor oil as a mask and omg I could not get it out for days! How do people ise this??

So for my very dry African hair, I wash my hair once a week with conditioner ( I make my own) and while my hair is still damp, I take a little whipped Butter ( Shea, Virgin Coconut and Avocado oil) and apply to my hair.

I wash with Shampoo every month(Make my own) and then use an intense conditioner for conditioning (Make my own) leave for like an hour, rinse out with cold water, apply a little whipped butter. I twist my hair with a bit of hair cream( Make my own) and jut let it be. Maybe twice a week, touch it up with a leave in conditioner and go my way.

I brush my hair maybe twice a week at most. When am detangling while washing my hair with plenty conditioner in my hair and during the week when I feel I need to redo my hair but with plenty leave in. I don’t brush my hair when it’s dry. Breakage City Baby :mad:

Last edited:
So for my very dry African hair, I wash my hair once a week with conditioner ( I make my own) and while my hair is still damp, I take a little whipped Butter ( Shea, Virgin Coconut and Avocado oil) and apply to my hair.

I wash with Shampoo every month(Make my own) and then use an intense conditioner for conditioning (Make my own) leave for like an hour, rinse out with cold water, apply a little whipped butter. I twist my hair with a bit of hair cream( Make my own) and jut let it be. Maybe twice a week, touch it up with a leave in conditioner and go my way.

I brush my hair maybe twice a week at most. When am detangling while washing my hair with plenty conditioner in my hair and during the week when I feel I need to redo my hair but with plenty leave in. I don’t brush my hair when it’s dry. Breakage City Baby :mad:
I have a vendor that is African American making products for his community. He uses raw shea, sweet almond oil and castor oil which he whips. It was funny because he gave me one and I told him it is dangerous to give someone who makes the products I make a jar of his hair/body butter. We were selling in the same market at one time. LOL, I did promise to not duplicate it and I have not, but it is a lovely product and would certainly work on dry fuzzy hair. I really do not like whipped butters but the castor makes a big difference in the feel. He only scents it with spearmint and it is wonderful. You might try it sometime

I might have to try this? Do you have your recipe for the shampoo and co ditioner I would be ontrested to five it a go! I will deco try the shea butter just I jist apply like a serum say a 5 pence size amount?

I have a vendor that is African American making products for his community. He uses raw shea, sweet almond oil and castor oil which he whips. It was funny because he gave me one and I told him it is dangerous to give someone who makes the products I make a jar of his hair/body butter. We were selling in the same market at one time. LOL, I did promise to not duplicate it and I have not, but it is a lovely product and would certainly work on dry fuzzy hair. I really do not like whipped butters but the castor makes a big difference in the feel. He only scents it with spearmint and it is wonderful. You might try it sometime
I like the sound of this! Whenever I have tried castor oil its made my hair sticky maybe with the mix it will be ok! Or mabe I applied too much! Ohhh I love a a spearmint :)

Latest posts

Back