Doubleboiler Again !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWolf

Reaction score
I may have asked this once before,but I'll ask again. Couldn't find anything in Search in regard to this......................
What is everyone using ? I have looked at DBs and they are expensive and small. I have also checked out thrift stores and the sort. They don't have anything. Most what everyone or anything I have read is to put a small pan in big pan. Problem........most all would get water into the wax pan. I haven't found anything that works or fits. The one I did find that would work was $49.95. Alternatives or sugestions would be appreciated. I have a standard size taper pot with handle. It is too deep to just do a pound or two. Would not be able to read thermo. I have read that using tin cans works. Kind of hard to pick up a hot tin can of wax with no handle. ANY IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the dollar store or flea markets / garage sales....usually this is something you can find relatively cheap....

GrayWolf said:
I may have asked this once before,but I'll ask again. Couldn't find anything in Search in regard to this......................
What is everyone using ? I have looked at DBs and they are expensive and small. I have also checked out thrift stores and the sort. They don't have anything. Most what everyone or anything I have read is to put a small pan in big pan. Problem........most all would get water into the wax pan. I haven't found anything that works or fits. The one I did find that would work was $49.95. Alternatives or sugestions would be appreciated. I have a standard size taper pot with handle. It is too deep to just do a pound or two. Would not be able to read thermo. I have read that using tin cans works. Kind of hard to pick up a hot tin can of wax with no handle. ANY IDEAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could slowly melt about 4 pounds of wax in a crock pot that you don't want anymore,or will not be used for cooking later.. It's safely done that way. Your wax additives can be added to it as it melts.Use potholders when you remove the crock.After it's melted.It can be poured into your melting pot.

What I do when I have to make several batches for large orders is.

Buy large stockpots.I have 2 larges,they both hold 3 melting pots,filled with wax.

Medium's will hold at 2 filled melting pots

Smalls,well you got the idea now :)

www.bittercreek.com has melting pots that are good quality with handles,they can rest on the sides of the stockpots. Other wax suppliers carry them as well
Make sure that the pots are filled to at least the bottom of the melting pots with water. When it's time to pour wipe off the water from your melting pot.
Your thermometers can attach to your melting pots.Candy thermometer's are cheap and easy to find.
Keep an eye on the wax temp.
And that's the cheapest double boiler that's pretty safe to use.Always be careful with hot wax.

I remember that tin can advice when I started out.I got a 2nd degree burn on my hand. I wouldn't recommend trying the microwave method either.. Yeah I did that :( LOL!
I found stockpots at the grocery store,dollar stores sometimes carry them as well,Walmart and such,they were never more then $15.00 a piece.

Hope this helps ya.good luck ;)

Munky.

Forgot to mention,that the stock pots can also be used as water baths for candle molds. Depending on what style of candle your looking to make.
You will definitely need the candle mold weights,they are flexible,easy to use,and inexpensive to buy.

Munky.

Wax Munky,
Thank you for the information. I had read somewhere about using Crock Pots. Most have Low,Medium and High. Guess that will do ? Wouldn't use Mom's or the Wife's. I have seen them at places like AmVet and GoodWill industries. For pennies on the dollar. I think that the pour pot that I have is better suited to dipping 10 " tapers which requires a full pot of wax and most likely a digital thermometer,which is read from the top. My thermo is a standard candy thermo . I haven't seen the short melting pots before. Aztex International doesn't have the short pots. They do have a great supply of different grades of Pariffin Wax. Easy on the billfold ! Closest place to where I am.
Stock pot also seems to be a good idea!
Thanks for the website link ! Have bookmarked it and will look at it the first chance I get !!

GrayWolf said:
Wax Munky,
Thank you for the information. I had read somewhere about using Crock Pots. Most have Low,Medium and High. Guess that will do ? Wouldn't use Mom's or the Wife's. I have seen them at places like AmVet and GoodWill industries. For pennies on the dollar. I think that the pour pot that I have is better suited to dipping 10 " tapers which requires a full pot of wax and most likely a digital thermometer,which is read from the top. My thermo is a standard candy thermo . I haven't seen the short melting pots before. Aztex International doesn't have the short pots. They do have a great supply of different grades of Pariffin Wax. Easy on the billfold ! Closest place to where I am.
Stock pot also seems to be a good idea!
Thanks for the website link ! Have bookmarked it and will look at it the first chance I get !!

That's the kind of crockpot I use.On high it takes about 3-4 hours to melt,depending on the weather.

Have you tried the tall "Dipping Vats?" for your tapers?

I use them indside the stockpot,just place a heavy chain underneath the vat. add water.I use those for dipping pillars for carving.I believe they hold about 10 pounds of wax. You could use paint sticks to stir the dyes.

Munky.

Try googling "Bain Marie", there are bajillions of double boilers priced really cheap.

Try asking your friends. When I first started with paraffin wax candles I was shocked at the price of a decent double boiler (and knew better then to buy cheap) and mentioned it to a couple friends. I had a quality double boiler in under a week from a friend who got a FULL set of pots and pans when she got married. She had never used it along with quite a few other items sitting in the garage shelves.

Finally decided to spend about $20.00 and buy myself a 3qt. pan and will use a pot I have here at home for the bottom pan. For what I need, it should do for a start. When I grow out of this.........I'll clean it up really good and use it for other stuff. Thanks for all the suggestions. Have quite a few sites bookmarked for future use.

Back