"Double batter" soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilianNoir

Reaction score
So... I have this idea, see...

I think it would be kinda neat to a do a "cream in coffee" layered soap, with a bottom layer of coffee based soap, and a top layer of milk based soap.
This would require of course, creating two separate batches of soap, and pouring the top one in before it thickens.
I figure this is theoretically possible, if you use a slow moving recipe and don't start making the milk soap until after the coffee has been poured.
But of course, theory and practice are two different things.
Has anyone tried anything like this? What were your results?
And/or my experienced soapers, does this idea scream "DON'T DO IT" to you?

I'm not going to try this anytime soon, since I'm not confident in my ability to 1. make milk soap consistently or 2. quickly and safely make a batch of batter, but it's definitely on my list.

I know a few folks here have posted pictures of similar coffee soaps, so, yes, you can do this. I believe if you make one batter, separate the batter and add the different additives to the separated portions, you would get the results you want without having to make two separate batters, though as that would be easier.

I think that would be a fine idea! You might need a more accurate scale if your batch of either soap would be smaller than about 500g. You'd have plenty of time to make both soaps. Make the coffee soap, taking your time, pour it, and walk away for a couple hours. Then you would have plenty of time to measure up your ingredients and make the milk soap safely. There's really no rush to make the milk layer, I would say you have several hours to get the top poured. Some soapers pipe soaps days after the base is made! I would say give it a shot!

People make layered soaps like this all the time. Only thing you would want to do is when pouring the top layer, break it's fall on the bottom layer with a spoon or spatula so it doesn't break into the bottom layer. That is if you want a straight lined layer. If you don't care, then just pour the second batch without the spoon/spatula.
An alcohol spray in between layers is completely unnecessary in CP, Your layers will stay together unless the bottom layer has already set and saponified and in CP this can take up to 24 hours. And even then, the only thing you would have to do is score the top of the layer with a fork before pouring the next layer and it will adhere.

This is a little different but it is a layered coffee soap. the top layer is a milk soap, the bottom and dark parts of the swirl is made with Starbucks Espresso.

fullsizeoutput_45f.jpeg

Latest posts

Back