Doterra essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Groves

Reaction score
Would you use the same amount as if you were using other essentials oils or less due to the purity?

I wouldn't use them for soap - far too expensive. Also, the Doterra purity isn't any greater than essential oils sold by any reputable supplier. I have my opinions about MLM essential oil, but I'll keep them to myself. Others may not - it's a topic that is discussed with some regularity - a search for that might be in order.

Well, I have a lady who is giving me some for an experiment to see if a small amount will hold up to the amount I use( typical amount through fragrance calculator). I don't know if I should decline the oils because she would be out of product if that was the case.

I love my fragrance oils but also use some essential oils, however I just don't like how the fragrance fades so fast even with additives.

If you want the same scent load, you definitely will need to use the same amount of the DT EOs as what you would add when using the bulk EOs.

I can say that because I've used both DT and YL EOs in my soaps, at the insistence of friends who sold them. Results: the MLM EOs are no more pure, and do not last any longer in soap (at any strength), than the bulk EOs available from soap suppliers.

There are only so many EO suppliers in the world, which means that the MLMs are often, if not always, getting their oils from the very same sources that the bulk suppliers use. The MLMs are just charging a premium to cover all the commissions, fancy marketing, and huge profit margin.

If I were you, I'd accept the offer as long as she is aware that you don't believe a small amount of her oils will provide equal scent to a larger amount of bulk EOs. She should also be reminded that selling the soap with the DT oils - even if she doesn't mention the DT name on or in connection with the soap - would violate her agreement with DT. All those MLM agreements specifically forbid the creation of any products for resale.

ETA: I'd go so far as to make a batch, split it, add the MLM EO to ½, and the bulk EO to the other half. Then give her multiple bars and see if she can consistently pick out which ones are made with the DT EO.

Seems like an expensive experiment, indeed! If I understand, she's wanting to prove the efficacy of her EOs over other EOs in CP Soap - yes? I can see where she's coming from. You likely use what seems to her to be a large amount of EO, and FO, to scent a batch of soap. And, she's right. When I first made soap, I'd been making my body products for about a year. I was flabbergasted that almost 1/2 an ounce of EO was needed for 16oz of oils, whereas in my "potions", I needed no more than 10 drops of EO to scent 16 oz of oils. Now, mind you, I have no idea how much 10 drops of EO weighs, but I do know that in volume it's a lot less than half an ounce in weight! :)

Google "what is meant by essential oil purity" and you'll find some good articles on the subject.

But, here's the problem, this is her business. Besides the hard sell techniques of some MLM's, even if she's just a "here and there" seller she rightly has loyalty to her brand. So, if her EOs don't perform any better than what you're currently using there'll be a problem because she will search high and low for a reason in defense of her product. Just like anyone else would who owned a business. You couldn't tell my Uncle that there was a better bike than Suzuki because he was a Suzuki dealer and racer. Same with your friend.

I'd suggest doing as you've intimated and not doing the experiment. Unless you're using very low grade/adulterated EOs - which I'm pretty sure you are not - you're going to waste her precious product and possibly even cause a chasm in your friendship/acquaintance.

ETA: My post crossed cyber-space with @AliOop. Her suggestion of making a batch with the lady and splitting it into absolutely equal amounts and into the exact same molds and then having her sniff them when cured might well work. Might..! :)

I'd suggest doing as you've intimated and not doing the experiment. Unless you're using very low grade/adulterated EOs - which I'm pretty sure you are not - you're going to waste her precious product and possibly even cause a chasm in your friendship/acquaintance.
@KimW that is a very good point about causing a chasm in the friendship. People are more important than proving ourselves to be right. Sometimes I can forget that in the frustration and desire to push back against the MLM hype. So I stand corrected and agree with you that there is more to consider here than just proving a point.

Another thing to consider - and I mention this moreso for other readers in the future as well, not to argue with anyone - is to be aware of marketing language. As a former DT rep, one of the "selling points" of my recruiter as well as the reps signed under her is that DT are the only essential oils that are "certified pure tested grade"... because DT trademarked this phrase so they are the only ones who can use it. I had to explain this to the gal who recruited me and she didn't believe it, she really believed it was special. I mention this because it is helpful information when vetting EO suppliers, any time they [the supplier] site their oils and their oils only meet a [named] qualification, I google it to find out if it's a trademarked name or standard to all EO's.

I was given doterra oils and some others to try and so I will be making a few sample bars but we also went over other EO I would order that are affordable for soaping.
Not trying to prove anyone wrong so I can be right.I had concerns as I don't want to waste her product as doterra oils are costly and with some EO they just don't hold up in CP even with additives they tend to fade.

I think we found something that will work for both of us.

Latest posts

Back