DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarah

Reaction score
Just wanted an opinion on this.
I made Genny’s Shampoo bar this past Saturday with a few tweaks due to what I had on hand.The only additions was Apricot Kernel and a little mango butter, Rose clay and honey.
The only thing I haven’t used before was the apricot kernel which I bought 2-3 months ago and was unopened and it’s paperwork says date of production Oct. 2019 and expiration 2022.
I made the bars without issue. I left it unfragranced. I soaped around 100Fish . I CPOP’d it overnight and it seemed fine. I probably should have waited another day to cut but it wasn’t unreasonably soft. Cut was fine. During the next day or two I noticed faint spots and a bit of oil (or gel?) in the middle of the bars. It doesn’t smell weird. Is this DOS? I have yet to experience it. I didn’t know if it was Rose clay or caramelized honey or...something else
There’s a pic of the loaf and my cut of the bar (right) next to a HP bar. The final pic is the changes since Saturday. Spots and weirdness. I’m not too concerned, I don’t sell and these are just for personal use but I would hate to have this keep happening in the future. I’m not sure what may have happened.

Attachments

• 746A62A9-EFFE-487F-B329-6179500C8CB5.jpeg
    746A62A9-EFFE-487F-B329-6179500C8CB5.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 6C82AB2B-9651-43E0-A33B-EC145A028D7B.jpeg
    6C82AB2B-9651-43E0-A33B-EC145A028D7B.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2C04CDC6-02BF-4711-BB37-5F09B9FDC998.jpeg
    2C04CDC6-02BF-4711-BB37-5F09B9FDC998.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 20
Just as a note: You should never put your soap on aluminum foil. Or straight onto a metal rack. It is likely to cause problems, including DOS.

Thanks. What are you supposed to store it on? Untreated wood? I get the aluminum foil—that was just temporarily placed and didn’t linger there. I thought some metal racks were ok?

You can put a cotton towel, or even paper towels between the metal and the soap. I use plastic mesh (for needlepoint found at craft stores) between my coated metal racks and the soap. I have a stainless baking cooling rack and that caused DOS, so I wouldn't trust that the stainless. It might be fine, but it might not.

Theoretically stainless steel ... theoretically ... is a reasonable choice, if you're determined to cure on metal. But frankly I don't trust "stainless steel" products sold for household use as being super high quality stainless. I've seen too many wire racks and utensils develop rust spots to believe stainless steel is utterly reliable.

I'm of the opinion it's best to not expose soap to metals as much as is reasonably possible. If you think about how long a bar of soap is going to be sitting on a metal rack or shelf ... and if you think about every microscopic impurity in that metal that could trigger rancidity ... it's just easier and safer to cure on plastic or fabric surfaces.

I also don't let my soap directly touch wood, paper, or cardboard because these materials can be acidic. I cover the bottoms of open cardboard boxes with a layer of cotton jersey (tee shirt material) or terry, and put my soap on that.

Theoretically stainless steel ... theoretically ... is a reasonable choice, if you're determined to cure on metal. But frankly I don't trust "stainless steel" products sold for household use as being super high quality stainless. I've seen too many wire racks and utensils develop rust spots to believe stainless steel is utterly reliable.

I'm of the opinion it's best to not expose soap to metals as much as is reasonably possible. If you think about how long a bar of soap is going to be sitting on a metal rack or shelf ... and if you think about every microscopic impurity in that metal that could trigger rancidity ... it's just easier and safer to cure on plastic or fabric surfaces.

I also don't let my soap directly touch wood, paper, or cardboard because these materials can be acidic. I cover the bottoms of open cardboard boxes with a layer of cotton jersey (tee shirt material) or terry, and put my soap on that.

I agree. I cover my coated racks with a light tea towel like material - I bought bar cloths at Walmart - they are about 36 by 22. I lay these lightweight cloths on my rack before placing the soap.

I never would have thought about the acidity--thanks!

Latest posts

Back