DOS or vanillin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexi_rn

Reaction score
I made my first batch of cold process soap with bramble kit for it. I added cotton candy scent and colorant to the upper 2 layers and vanilla to the bottom layer.

The uppermost layer has developed brown spots. On a Facebook group they said it was from the fragrance but it doesn’t make sense as I used that on 2 layers and the lower is fine.

How do I tell if these are dreaded orange spots or vanillin discoloration?

I used bottled water instead of distilled, but wouldn’t that make the entire bar discolored if that was the cause?
2F2B389A-E96D-4F1D-B2BE-2A5458694137.jpeg

First of all...super cute. But wait to see how they change over time to know what the color will be. I don't think it could be dos yet if you just made them.
Thanks! Bramble berry cotton candy scent says it does not contain any vanillin so I am stumped. I just made these about a week ago. The top has the soda ash happening too. But I think that is manageable right?

I have made two identical soaps at the same time, and ash happens on one and not the other. No explanation. Still, a week is too soon to know about your spots. Assuming you blended everything in well...just wait. Someone might come along with a better answer. But I'm not too concerned about your soap at this point.

Still not dos. But I imagine that you may not have not mixed your fragrance enough. Only time will tell. Coulda been anything. Maybe you used a spoon on that layer that you used on another?? I had a soap with my fingerprints on a white layer because I touched the soap. Its like vanillin is contagious LOL.

I think its just a fragrance oil problem/discoloration

This is DOS, its like a rotten spot on your soap that you can't even dig it out with your fingernail.

dos.jpg
dos fingernail dig.jpg

Very nice soap. Like the duck imbeds. To early for dos. Like others have noted. The way it swirls with the design. I would learn towards the fragrance also. I see from the last pic. Everything seems to have settled down.

Dreaded Orange Spots are called ‘dreaded orange spots’ for a reason…they are orange, not brown. And they usually take time to develop and can be caused by using rancid oils or contact with metals (not stainless steel).

I am a bit confused by your descriptions versus your photos. In the top photo you said: “I added cotton candy scent and colorant to the upper 2 layers and vanilla to the bottom layer.” I’m seeing a bluish purple on the bottom, pink in the center and white on top (with a little more pink) so I’m guessing the bottom 2 layers has the Cotton Candy FO and the Vanilla was put in the top white layer…this would match the picture. I’m also guessing that you stirred the ‘vanilla’ in, or didn’t blend enough so you have some weird discoloration going on.

Very nice soap. Like the duck imbeds. To early for dos. Like others have noted. The way it swirls with the design. I would learn towards the fragrance also. I see from the last pic. Everything seems to have settled down.

The first photo is current, the second photo was right after the cut.

1. This is not DOS. Too early, too brown (not orange enough), too “swirly” (not “spotty” enough). This doesn't tell you if your batch might develop DOS at some later time, but this is not it.

2. I too blame the FO (several compounds can turn brown in soap, vanillin is only the best known of them). My best guess is that the middle layer has these brown swirls too, but the pink colourant is strong and opaque enough to mask it. At least for now.

3. Embrace the brown. Many people are putting a lot of effort into swirl designs. You've got one for free! 😃

Dreaded Orange Spots are called ‘dreaded orange spots’ for a reason…they are orange, not brown. And they usually take time to develop and can be caused by using rancid oils or contact with metals (not stainless steel).

I am a bit confused by your descriptions versus your photos. In the top photo you said: “I added cotton candy scent and colorant to the upper 2 layers and vanilla to the bottom layer.” I’m seeing a bluish purple on the bottom, pink in the center and white on top (with a little more pink) so I’m guessing the bottom 2 layers has the Cotton Candy FO and the Vanilla was put in the top white layer…this would match the picture. I’m also guessing that you stirred the ‘vanilla’ in, or didn’t blend enough so you have some weird discoloration going on.
The bottom layer was brown when I poured it. I had added in a lot of purple and it just kept turning brown. I later read that vanilla would do that so I was pleasantly surprised when it was time to unmold and it turned back to purple. I don’t think I could have gotten vanilla in that top layer of the green/cotton candy, but it’s possible. It was a circus 🤡 😂

What were your colorants? Several morph when adding to your batter and others when adding your fragrance.

I have andy the money which looks like baby poo when added to the batter, but turns a really nice green with the cure. I love it, but hard to do swirls because you literally have only your imagination to know what your final soap will look like.

I also have one that is purple, but then turns dark gray.

Both of their descriptions say they will do this, so go back and read them as well as reviews.

What were your colorants? Several morph when adding to your batter and others when adding your fragrance.

I have andy the money which looks like baby poo when added to the batter, but turns a really nice green with the cure. I love it, but hard to do swirls because you literally have only your imagination to know what your final soap will look like.

I also have one that is purple, but then turns dark gray.

Both of their descriptions say they will do this, so go back and read them as well as reviews.
It was a sample pack from Bramble berry

I used a cotton candy (not from bramble berry) many moons ago and it did discolour over days to a brown, so didn't use it again.

It says no vanillan, but it also says it discolors, and it says not recommended for cp soap. The tutorial is for mp soap (i dont know if you were following the tutorial or just the design).

However, i still think your soap is really pretty. Hopefully the morph is over. After looking at your soap again, i think you might have stirred with the vanilla spoon/spatula in your white soap, which is why you have swirls of brown. Remember this, as although it might seem like a mishap now, it may come in handy later lol.

Latest posts

Back