DOS or burnt sugar or FO problem?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
This was going to be my entry to the diagonal slice challenge but I cut it a little too late 🥺 Now I finally have it done, I wonder what the brown spots in soap are? I doubt it's DOS since I used the same oils and recipe for all of it.

blueberru-soap.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo. I took it in a hurry before I left for work.

I made 3 batch in total.
The purple cylinder on top was from my first batch where I used frozen blueberry yogurt as my water and forgot to put a ice bucket around my lye container to cool it down so it burnt quite a bit. I know the bits are likely from the yogurt and unfiltered blueberry bits.

The layered part was made from milk as liquid. I put the lye container in an ice bath when mixing so it didn't really have any chunks and was pretty smooth. It did turned a bit yellow but wasn't as bad as the yogurt batch.

The third batch was the in mold swirl part. I used simply water this time so no discoloration.

The fragrance I used was a blend of Blueberry and Oatmeal, Honey, and Milk from Natures Garden. All 3 batches had fragrance beading on the surface area and had to sit for 2 days for those to be reabsorbed so I wonder if those could be from the FO as well?

P.S. apparently small loaf mold is a bad idea for making straight layers, who would've know lol:eek:My spatula could barely fit in there so the layers are pretty terrible, which stopped me from entering it as well.

I wouldn't think it was DOS this soon. I don't really know what the brown spots are - maybe the fragrance wasn't mixed in well enough? I really just wanted to say that the overall look of your soap is very nice.

Well, the soap looks great, and the spots look like an intentional part of the design.

I've gotten spots like that from both honey and sugar, plus hot batter.

Back