DOS ? on my original first batch of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a mistake in the post you quoted. My apologies; I shouldn't speak from memory. I've edited that post to correct it.

My article (https://classicbells.com/soap/EDTA.html) suggests 5 grams EDTA powder per 1000 grams of total batch weight.

That is the same as using as 10 grams of 50% EDTA solution per 1000 grams of total batch weight. To translate this for your small batches, that is 1 gram of 50% EDTA solution per 100 grams total batch weight.

Your first example determines the EDTA amount on 360 grams of fat, not total batch weight.

Your second example with 531 g total batch weight. That is how I'd calculate the weight of EDTA solution if I followed my own advice.

Thank you for giving me the chance to correct my mistake!

I made a mistake in the post you quoted. My apologies; I shouldn't speak from memory. I've edited that post to correct it.

My article (https://classicbells.com/soap/EDTA.html) suggests 5 grams EDTA powder per 1000 grams of total batch weight.

That is the same as using as 10 grams of 50% EDTA solution per 1000 grams of total batch weight. To translate this for your small batches, that is 1 gram of 50% EDTA solution per 100 grams total batch weight.

Your first example determines the EDTA amount on 360 grams of fat, not total batch weight.

Your second example with 531 g total batch weight. That is how I'd calculate the weight of EDTA solution if I followed my own advice.

Thank you for giving me the chance to correct my mistake!
No apologies necessary. That is what I thought after reading everything but since this is all new to me and I get that newbie anxiousness yet that I not doing it right I thought I’d double check. I just so appreciate the helps. It’s a learning curve when you have to do it on your own and I appreciate this community.

Always good to double check -- mistakes happen (obviously)!

Latest posts

Back