DOS - my Dec challenge non entry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
This was to be my entry for the December challenge. Made 12/6

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

Boy oh boy, Dixie -- I'd think the same thing if I were you, but it's awfully early for DOS I'd think. The other thing that comes to mind is a few bits of something brownish snuck their way into your batch and the color is leaching out and forming that splotch. In the first pic, that's what it looks like it could be.

I'm thinking something got in, too. I once had a few bits of potting soil get into one of my batches a few years back (a nearby plant fell over as I was soaping and some bits of it plopped into my batter), and a few of my bars ended up with a few spots that looked pretty much like the one in your pic, only a little darker.

IrishLass :)

I can't believe it is dos this early. The colors a absolutely gorgeous. Could it be a droplet of fo? Did it touch an uncovered spot on the rack, it you use stainless racks? Lard :evil: We should all know by now I had dos issues with lard :):razz:

out of 20 bars, 13 had the spots. Most were faint, but there was a second one with a dark center. I'm majorly pouting. I used a cheese slicer to cut off all the spots. I'll see if they reappear. If they appear on the clean soap, then I guess I'll toss the batch. :(

Dixie, I had a similar batch that looked identical to yours with spots appearing after a couple of days. The spots didn't get any bigger or smell off though I did end up chunking the soap out of an abundance of caution. Plus I didn't really like the scent or appearance of it even without the spots.

My best guess for the cause was some litsea EO that I used in an EO blend since I made other batches that day from the same ingredients. A little later, I was about to use the EO for some bath truffles and had poured it into a glass container. The sun was setting, and I noticed particulates floating and glinting in my container. It was a gift from a friend, and I'm not sure where they bought it. Of course, I failed to make note of the brand; however, it wasn't one I'd seen before.

Latest posts

Back