DOS in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipperysoap

Reaction score
My soaps have been getting DOS but I’m not sure what’s the trigger. I’m living in a hot and humid evironment, but the soaps will be cured in a cool and dark room with a dehumidifier. Is there any problem with this palm-free CP recipe, or could it be done to the EOs? (I often use Nowfoods lavender or cedarwood and peppermint essential oils). For soaping temp, it is usually 36 deg celcius.

I’m planning to use this recipe to make a big batch of coffee ground scrub soap with lavender and peppermint essential oils. Hence, I really want to avoid DOS!

Any advice is very much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• 8F88F3C7-8647-470E-A3F8-05C9913368A7.jpeg
    8F88F3C7-8647-470E-A3F8-05C9913368A7.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t make a big batch unti you e sorted the DOS problem. Try small batches with the EOs one at a time. Soap needs airflow to cure. If there are beads of moisture on the soap you need a dehumidifier.

Are you using tap water or distilled water?
Are you using ROE or sodium gluconate?

Are you using a metal rack to dry your soap? If so, that could be the problem.
Nope, I'm using plastic in a dehumidified and cool room.

I wouldn’t make a big batch unti you e sorted the DOS problem. Try small batches with the EOs one at a time. Soap needs airflow to cure. If there are beads of moisture on the soap you need a dehumidifier.

Are you using tap water or distilled water?
Are you using ROE or sodium gluconate?
I will try to make a smaller batch with the following adjustments:
- Lowering % of sweet almond oil from 10% to 5%
- Increase % of coconut oil from 27.5% to 32.5%
- Lowering water to lye ratio from the current 2.4 to 2.0
- Lowering superfat from 5% to 3%
I'm using distilled water only. Have not heard of ROE or sodium gluconate, so didn't add them in. Hopefully these new tweak works!

I personally wouldn’t make any of those adjustments. Why?

I never use less than 10% for any oil except castor. It just makes no difference at lower percentages.

I use maximum 10% coconut oil even in salt soaps. If you use more than 20% the soap will be harsh on your skin and just dissolve away really quickly.

I’d lower the SF to 2% or less.

I use lye concentration of 30-32%. I don’t use a water ratio.

Try only one EO at a time.

Make sure your molds and implements are super clean. Scrubbed with bleach then dried. Only touch your soap with gloves. Maker sure you don’t use metal anywhere.

Good luck.

I personally wouldn’t make any of those adjustments. Why?

I never use less than 10% for any oil except castor. It just makes no difference at lower percentages.

I use maximum 10% coconut oil even in salt soaps. If you use more than 20% the soap will be harsh on your skin and just dissolve away really quickly.

I’d lower the SF to 2% or less.

I use lye concentration of 30-32%. I don’t use a water ratio.

Try only one EO at a time.

Make sure your molds and implements are super clean. Scrubbed with bleach then dried. Only touch your soap with gloves. Maker sure you don’t use metal anywhere.

Good luck.
I see, I will not tweak the amount of Sweet Almond oil then.
I live in Singapore (very hot and humid) and will reduce SF to 2% or less.
Also, i've read somewhere that Lavender and mint essential oils often causes DOS - will be switching to a Cedarwood essential oil then.
Yes, the oils i'm using are fresh.
I'm making a small batch tomorrow and hoping they'll turn out fine!
Here's the updated recipe (lower water:lye ratio to 2:1, and SF reduced to 2%), wish me luck!

1674055372691.png

Attachments

• 1674054558819.png
    1674054558819.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I also live in a humid and hot area and I only faced this problem when I sued ghee as one of my ingredients.
When I searched the net, they advised that it is better to use lavender seed extract to prevent this from happening.
My advice as I have used all the above mentioned oils and essential oils successfully and I only faced a problem with my soap going rancid when I used ghee (Shea butter in your case, if I am not rong), add some natural preservative like lavender oil extract to the Shea butter or your recipe.

I also live in a humid and hot area and I only faced this problem when I sued ghee as one of my ingredients.
When I searched the net, they advised that it is better to use lavender seed extract to prevent this from happening.
My advice as I have used all the above mentioned oils and essential oils successfully and I only faced a problem with my soap going rancid when I used ghee (Shea butter in your case, if I am not rong), add some natural preservative like lavender oil extract to the Shea butter or your recipe.
Oh I have never heard of lavender seed extract, will definitely look it up! I have made the batches above and keeping fingers crossed that there’s no DOS coming up in a month.

I have previously used Shea Butter but in a different formula and didn’t experience DOS. However, I didn’t use lavender nor peppermint in that formula either. A month ago, I’ve also made another batch with lavender and peppermint EO and it’s beginning to smell abit off and the white part is beginning to turn yellowish. Hopefully that’s the root cause! (Keeping fingers crossed for my coffee soaps)

Oh I have never heard of lavender seed extract, will definitely look it up! I have made the batches above and keeping fingers crossed that there’s no DOS coming up in a month.

I have previously used Shea Butter but in a different formula and didn’t experience DOS. However, I didn’t use lavender nor peppermint in that formula either. A month ago, I’ve also made another batch with lavender and peppermint EO and it’s beginning to smell abit off and the white part is beginning to turn yellowish. Hopefully that’s the root cause! (Keeping fingers crossed for my coffee soaps)
I think the amount of lavender used can affect 🤔, or the combination is bad. Come to think of it, I did use peppermint in the recipe that I used for ghee 😳.

@Dala3en Most lavender seed extract that I've seen contains alcohol, which would cause your soap to seize unless you are making hot-processed soap and adding it after the cook. Also, if you are using it to prevent rancidity, then it is actually an antioxidant, and not a preservative. There is a big difference in the meaning of those terms.

I see, I will not tweak the amount of Sweet Almond oil then.
I live in Singapore (very hot and humid) and will reduce SF to 2% or less.
Also, i've read somewhere that Lavender and mint essential oils often causes DOS - will be switching to a Cedarwood essential oil then.
Yes, the oils i'm using are fresh.
I'm making a small batch tomorrow and hoping they'll turn out fine!
Here's the updated recipe (lower water:lye ratio to 2:1, and SF reduced to 2%), wish me luck!

View attachment 70461

Post 4-month update: I've not experienced DOS since switching to a single essential oil (Cedarwood)! Loving my coffee soap scrubs till now from the big batch. I highly suspect that Peppermint EO was the culprit.

Back