DOS in olive oil soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingGoodAustin

Reaction score
Hey there;

I recently made a castile-type (or "bastile") soap, using Hot Process. It was a 40 ounce batch, composed as follows:
Palm Oil 18.25% 7.3 oz
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 18.5% 7.4 oz
Olive Oil 57.5% 23 oz
Castor Oil 5.75% 2.3 oz

I added 1/2 tsp salt to lyewater, 7g roe 2%, and 16 d vitamin E to my oils. I also added 1/2 tbsp oat powder mixed w/1/2 tbsp glycerin and 25 ml essential oil (geranium) at trace.

It looked and smelled lovely, but recently I've noticed a couple of yellow spots on the very top of the soap. The only thing I can think of is that this is a case of DOS, but I didn't think an olive oil soap would be particularly susceptible to rancidity. Should I have added more ROE?

Appreciate all the help I've received here. I'm learning so much!

How old is the soap in question? I ask because DOS does not usually show up until at least a month or more has gone by. If you see spots before that, it's more than likely FO or EO, or an additive that was not mixed in as well as you thought. I've had that happen to me on occasion. The most recent time it happened to me was a few batches ago. Two little yellowish spots showed up near the top of one of my bars, and it turned out to be the FO. All the rest of my bars were fine.

Just for the record, it is possible to get DOS in an olive oil batch. I've actually never had it happen to my own OO batches, but I've heard of it happening to others, especially those that live in humid areas (I live in a really arid area).

I've never used ROE or vitamin E in my soap, but from what I understand, ROE's recommended usage rate is between .02% to .05%, and in order for it to act as an effective preventative to DOS it must be added directly to your liquid oils as soon as you buy them when they are still quite fresh.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back