DOS From Silicone Soap Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auntiei

Reaction score
I wanted to bring up something I noticed about DOS on one my recent batches. I made a recipe and poured it into silicone heart molds that I had used last year and had cleaned with Dawn dishsoap. Some soap was poured into loaf molds lined with parchment paper. I noticed the DOS formed on the heart molds fairly quickly, but not on the sliced loaf soap. Thinking there had to be a concrete reason for this, I finally noticed that the silicone molds were slightly greasy and sticky on the underside. My conclusion is that the very slight film of oil leftover had gone rancid and caused the DOS. Does this seem likely? I put some other silicone molds that were sticky into the dishwasher, and they came out GREAT.

I suppose anything is possible. Generally, DOS is from rancidity. I mostly use all silicone. Individual, loaf etc and have not had a DOS issue. I'd just be sure to wash your molds more carefully going forward.

Welcome to the forum, stop by the introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Back