DOS factors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Reaction score
What contributes to DOS.

Any particular oils or EO's or FO's

I ask as I did not use canola .... from what I hear that is a major oil that causes it.

And my first bar has DOS and I don't want that to happen to my next ones.

That batch had Lard, Olive oil and castor oil. I did use some....... not near enough FO and EO's that I have had for a while..... like maybe 20 drops total to a 32 oz oil batch ...... can not tell ever any in it.

Anyone know what could have caused it?

Val

Here are a few things that contribute to DOS.
1. Over superfatting, the extra oil or free fatty acids go rancid or oxidize.
2. Heat light and humidity .
3. Certain oils are known to be prone to DOS.
4. Using oils that are not fresh.

How to help prevent DOS
Store you soap in a cool dark dry place , preferably on ventilated racks , or in cardboard boxes , add an antioxidant like Vit E or GSE , .
using distilled water .Use fresh oils, I write the date on the bottles as I buy them, because a lot of them have no use by dates.

Kitn

Thanks! I bought the oil and lard specifically to make soap. So I guess the spots came from Humidity as it has been raining here almost daily... a few days may pass before it would rain again. :(

I decided to put a lamp in the closet with them to provide heat/dryness. I have it set on the floor and they are on the shelf above on racks that are plastic coated. Will the light from the lamp harm them?

Val

Hi Val ,
I would use a fan rather a lamp , the light and heat from the lamp won't help . If you could buy a small fan I think that would help . Also leaving the closet door open if you can , would help.
For curing I use the plastic storage shelves , they are about 5 ventilated shelves high and about 4 feet wide. I don't know if you have room for a shelf or not ,but I have not yet had any DOS ( touch wood) . I have used canola and other oils that they say can contribute to it.

Kitn

So using a lamp to dry the air is not going to work?

I guess I have to get a fan. I do not want to leave the door open on the closet as I smoke and have heard that could be absorbed into the soap.
Is that true or not.

On this link http://www.soapnaturally.org/DOS.html they say to add a heat drying lamp during rainy times. Not sure what that is so opted for a lamp.

Val

I find that if I mix olive and soy oils, my soaps always get it!

( I love Soap Naturally's site!)

Val said:
So using a lamp to dry the air is not going to work?

I guess I have to get a fan. I do not want to leave the door open on the closet as I smoke and have heard that could be absorbed into the soap.
Is that true or not.

On this link http://www.soapnaturally.org/DOS.html they say to add a heat drying lamp during rainy times. Not sure what that is so opted for a lamp.

Val
I haven't heard of a heat lamp , but if they say so ,go for it. There are so many theories and ideas about soap that sometimes one has to try and see what works for them.:D

Kitn

I am thinking you may be right that the closet has no air circulation. this happend AFTER I put them in there.

Before they were on a table in my room with the computer. I have plenty of room for shelves in here it is a approx. 10x10 room with nothing much in here. The closet is fairly large. It is as long as the room and I thought it would be perfect for this. Especially when i read somewhere that they would absorb odors. I really need to know if this is true or not.

Val

Back