DOS due to GM powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten DOS in their soaps from using goat milk powder? Specifically from the method of adding the powder directly to the oils before adding the lye water.

I almost always use this method without a problem, but I noticed 2 of my last 5 batches of GM soap have teeny tiny little orange/brown spots throughout. They're still so small (and consistent throughout the bars) that I can't tell for *sure* if they are DOS...but it's making me wonder if I didn't mix the powder in well enough and the flecks of GM powder have caused all sorts of DOS spots on these bars. Or if I didn't mix well enough and this isn't DOS but some other "undermixing" problem. Or if it has anything to do with the mixing and GM powder at all haha.

I don't have a great pic of what I'm describing but you can see it along the top beveled edges of the soap tops in the photo attached (the dots seem to be more pronounced along any beveled edges). Background info: this photo was taken about 2-3 days after cutting. The bars were left to cure in the basement which is cool but unfortunately not as dry as I'd like (have since moved them upstairs where it's drier).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I've been googling and searching the forum but haven't found any info, one way or the other.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 57
I use the same method as you to mix in the GM powder and I have gotten something similar in one of my batches. All my ingredients were fresh so I wondered if it was just a weird reaction maybe with the FO (Waterlily & Bluebell from WSP).

FYI, when I mix in the powder I take a little of my melted oils in a measuring cup and mix the GM powder in there. Then I pour it through a strainer back into the rest of the oils so I don't get any clumps or bits of powder.

The goats milk powder is overheating and burning in the oils. It t turns orange/brown and clumps up. It has to be strained out. It happened my 1st batch when I added gm powder while heating up my oils. I don't whisk it in now until right before the lye water goes in.

That makes sense that it’s burned. So annoying because I strain it too. Argh!!! Maybe my oils were still a bit too warm.

Now the big question, is it still useable or do I have to toss it?

DOS usually takes a few weeks to develop. I’m going to guess that the powder didn’t fully disperse in the oils and then got scorched by the lye. I happen to like speckles, so unless your soap smells burnt, there is nothing wrong with it and you can sell it or keep it for personal use or gifts.

Next time, disperse the powder in oil, water or even your scent and then add to you oils and blend well. Then let it sit for 10 minutes and check for speckles.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten DOS in their soaps from using goat milk powder? Specifically from the method of adding the powder directly to the oils before adding the lye water.

I almost always use this method without a problem, but I noticed 2 of my last 5 batches of GM soap have teeny tiny little orange/brown spots throughout. They're still so small (and consistent throughout the bars) that I can't tell for *sure* if they are DOS...but it's making me wonder if I didn't mix the powder in well enough and the flecks of GM powder have caused all sorts of DOS spots on these bars. Or if I didn't mix well enough and this isn't DOS but some other "undermixing" problem. Or if it has anything to do with the mixing and GM powder at all haha.

I don't have a great pic of what I'm describing but you can see it along the top beveled edges of the soap tops in the photo attached (the dots seem to be more pronounced along any beveled edges). Background info: this photo was taken about 2-3 days after cutting. The bars were left to cure in the basement which is cool but unfortunately not as dry as I'd like (have since moved them upstairs where it's drier).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I've been googling and searching the forum but haven't found any info, one way or the other.
Sorry that happened, but the soap is still gorgeous!

That makes sense that it’s burned. So annoying because I strain it too. Argh!!! Maybe my oils were still a bit too warm.

Now the big question, is it still useable or do I have to toss it?
Totally usable and even sellable as long as it doesn't smell bad.

I always SB my GMP into my warm oils and have never had a problem with it. However, I often let it rest and then come back to blitz it again before adding my lye solution. That way, when the batter heats up, there are no clumps to get scorched.

Totally usable and even sellable as long as it doesn't smell bad.

I always SB my GMP into my warm oils and have never had a problem with it. However, I often let it rest and then come back to blitz it again before adding my lye solution. That way, when the batter heats up, there are no clumps to get scorched.
Yep I do the same I've never had an issue either.

The goats milk powder is overheating and burning in the oils. It t turns orange/brown and clumps up. It has to be strained out. It happened my 1st batch when I added gm powder while heating up my oils. I don't whisk it in now until right before the lye water goes in.
The GM Powder is not going to heat and burn in the oils unless you are heating the oils while the gm is still in powder form in the oils and the oil is Hot.

When I make Goat milk soap I always use gm powder and always whisk it well into my warm oils before adding in my room temp to cool lye solution because I find it so much easier to mix than trying to mix gm powder in my vinegar solution. I soap room temp and have never had a problem using gm powder.

Back