Don't laugh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I just ordered a regular size crafters choice loaf mold (1501). Does anyone know how many pounds of oils I should scale my soap recipes to for this? I usually use a 33% lye ratio if that helps. I know I can figure this out, but for the life of me I'm not remembering how.

I just ordered a regular size crafters choice loaf mold (1501). Does anyone know how many pounds of oils I should scale my soap recipes to for this? I usually use a 33% lye ratio if that helps. I know I can figure this out, but for the life of me I'm not remembering how.
It holds 44oz,

What I do is load my standard recipe into Soap Calc; 33% Lye Concentration, 5% SuperFat 1oz FO PPO. Then I just start playing with the amount of Oils and Calculate until I get close to 44oz Total Weight. For the above, that works out to be 29.75oz of oils for 44.07 oz Total Weight.

It holds 44oz,

What I do is load my standard recipe into Soap Calc; 33% Lye Concentration, 5% SuperFat 1oz FO PPO. Then I just start playing with the amount of Oils and Calculate until I get close to 44oz Total Weight. For the above, that works out to be 29.75oz of oils for 44.07 oz Total Weight.
Thank you! I already knew how many oz the mold holds, but I couldn't remember if the total batch weight (I use Soapee) was what I was looking for. Yay!

Thank you! I already knew how many oz the mold holds, but I couldn't remember if the total batch weight (I use Soapee) was what I was looking for. Yay!
I deal with math via my day job, so I like to keep things fairly simple when it comes to making soap.

To find out how much a mold will hold if I don't have that information I put it on the scale, tare it, fill it with water and them multiply it by 0.92 since oils/butters are lighter than water. It's an approximation, but it gives me a place to start for my first batch.

To start with a number to figure out how much Oils I will need for a mold, it starts with knowing your recipe. My recipe under the parameters I gave is 67.5% Oils...so I multiply that number by the total weight of the mold to: 0.675 x 44 = 29.70 and put that in as my Oil Weight and then I calculate and get 43.99 for my batch weight. Because I know that I can't scape every little bit of batter out of my bowl, or off my stick blender, or off my spatula...I rather be a little bit over than under which is why I went to 29.75 which is 44.07 or I could have just gone with 30.0 for 44.44.

I do it different. I multiply the LxWxD of the inside of the mold, and then multiply that number by .39. Your mold is 8 x 3.5 x 2.5 = 70. Then 70 x .39 = 27.3 oz oils. That’s what I would use. It’s easy and works for me.

Last edited:
Back