Quantcast

Done with Lard_maybe

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am finally done with lard even though I love my 45/22% Tallow/Lard and love the slow trace. Problem is, when I have a slow selling selling and smell an off smell in the soap it is always one with lard. Even my husband told me to stop using lard. :( It is not coming down with dos, just smells off, or it is the Goat's Milk when is the other common factor. :beatinghead: I am going to run a batch today with my mix and no gm, and let it age for a year.

Really having a hard time giving it up since it slows trace no nicely and my vegan recipe traces extremely fast. :hairpulling:

Saponificarian

Reaction score
How about trying Goose/Duck fat. I am loving the creaminess and bubbles. I have been using it at 20% with 40% Tallow. It’s slow tracing too and I use 25% Rapeseed/High Oleic Canola with it. It’s about 3 months now and it still smell like the Walk in the woods fragrance oil it was scented with.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like Goose and Duck fat, but it is to expensive here. Nope I have not tried Leaf Lard, it is also to expensive.

Last edited:

redhead1226

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like chicken fat but it is to hard to collect enough by rendering the skin
There is a lot of fat on the leg quarters which are usually cheap. Just keep collecting it until you have enough. I tried to get it from the grocery but they say now that a lot f there meats come with less fat, so I bought leg quarters an saved the fat from it. I have not made a soap with it yet, but I will.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
I like chicken fat but it is to hard to collect enough by rendering the skin
I would sent it to you if i could. I end up with at least 400 grams of it per week. There is no way i can use that much of it!

Obsidian

Reaction score
I've also noticed my lard soap gets a off smell when its old, at least two years.
Its not enough for me to give up the lard. I just make less soap now so it doesn't sit around so long.

Sk8rTips

Reaction score
Same issue here. The issues with smell were pretty consistent. As I'm still mainly doing this for fun / friends and family I've just limited the number I make so I only have what I need for the time. I couldn't bring myself to give it up!

beckster51

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please read:

USE OAKMOSS TO OFFSET THE ODOR OF LARD/TALLOW IN SOAP
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/oakmoss-to-offset-the-odor-of-lard-tallow.64271/

When making lard/tallow soaps I also use full water and temps at 120-135 (CP) and have no problem with off-smelling bars. :thumbs:
Have you ever tried using Oakmoss fragrance oil?
Sorry, Zany, I just went back and read your directions. You say you haven't used an FO. I should have read thoroughly before asking that question. DOH!

Last edited:

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
No worries, beckster, I haven't used the FO but I suspect it might work as well. Worth a try maybe?

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t get it... I have lard soaps years old and they simply do not smell at all.
Some of us have more sensitive noses and can identify the oils used in some soaps. Some of those sensitive noses don't like some of the smells. Lard is one that I don't like the smell of, but I have read of some folks who don't like the smell of olive oil in soap, so it's really dependent on the individual person.

Latest posts