Donating ugly soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our food bank is always grateful to get soaps to add in the bags. We have also supplied shelters for Abused Women, they mentioned to us that many times these women leave with the clothes on their and their children's back. I make up hot processed soaps with fo's that just will not soap nice but smell nice to send out to them. I really get irritated with sending out to Clean the World and the price of shipping, I would rather keep the donations to my own community. I also like to keep a few unloved soapies and had them out to the homeless
I agree, shelters for abused women are so important. I got an address for a shelter nearby from one of the food bank workers (these safe houses are usually top secret for safety reasons). I have dropped by make up and hair dye (that seems to be the most requested items). Anything that will make a woman feel better about herself is so important for these women...never thought about soap...hmmm
BTW, I follow passionforsavings.com, they will show you deals in various pharmacies and stores and combine with coupons to get you free or nearly free stuff, make up is usually a regular freebie, so I get them each week and when I have a bag saved up I drop it off..

Last edited:
Absolutely donate your unwanted or excess soap. I donate my to local outreach programs. And whenever I can I try to take the time to package it attractively so the recipients who receive it are getting something that feels special - not just a bare bar of soap.

Our food bank is always grateful to get soaps to add in the bags. We have also supplied shelters for Abused Women, they mentioned to us that many times these women leave with the clothes on their and their children's back. I make up hot processed soaps with fo's that just will not soap nice but smell nice to send out to them. I really get irritated with sending out to Clean the World and the price of shipping, I would rather keep the donations to my own community. I also like to keep a few unloved soapies and had them out to the homeless

I only suggest Clean the World when people start talking about throwing soap away. They have several receiving locations in the US, so everyone should have one fairly close so that flat rate shipping should not be that bad.

By all means if you have a local shelter that will take them give to them. But not all shelters will or can take home made things. Also if you have things that might be lye heavy, or used too much CO and is really drying, or SF way too high, the rebatching that Clean the World does fixes those problems.

The large flat rate boxes are under $20 to ship. The dimensions are 12" x 12" x 5 1/2" - that is alot of soap, so if you have nothing local, or have problem batches, this is a great way to donate to a good cause, and it keeps stuff out of the landfill.

I agree, shelters for abused women are so important. I got an address for a shelter nearby from one of the food bank workers (these safe houses are usually top secret for safety reasons). I have dropped by make up and hair dye (that seems to be the most requested items). Anything that will make a woman feel better about herself is so important for these women...never thought about soap...hmmm
BTW, I follow passionforsavings.com, they will show you deals in various pharmacies and stores and combine with coupons to get you free or nearly free stuff, make up is usually a regular freebie, so I get them each week and when I have a bag saved up I drop it off..
Yes you are correct about the women's shelters, and as you say they have to be secret. Off hand I do not remember how my daughter got in touch with them. Our local Salavation Army, which has short term living to train and get families functioning again, also love to take the soaps and any toiletries. I do wrap them and label as I would all my soaps

Around the Los Angeles area I have donated several boxes of soaps to the Pasadena homeless shelters - they are very happy to receive them. I have also donated to a homeless shelter in Korea town (name and street escapes my memory) and both places where delighted to get them. Pasadena is closer to me, so that is my 'usual' spot to donate. They even give you a receipt to declare the value of the donated goods (for your taxes).

Good to know about the food pantries too, I have only donated food items. Probably better to call and ask if they do accept soap and other non food essentials.

Well, I think you should not have thrown any of it away.

If you do not want to donate it to local shelters or such - send it to clean the world. They rebatch all the soaps and salt it out so it is safe and unscented

It's good to know that they rebatch it and salt it out. I feel better about people getting purified soap. I was wondering how they handled having so many different types of soaps and scraps to distribute.

For those of you who donate--

How much do you donate at one time? Would you make a 3 pound donation or wait until you have enough to donate a large box full?

How much do you donate at one time? Would you make a 3 pound donation or wait until you have enough to donate a large box full?

Just call and ask if there is a minimum to donate. The shelters around here will take any amount. Usually, if I just have 3 lbs I can get my friends to take some 'free soap' off my hands.

Before my first donation, I think I had 100+ bars that I had collected that either the scent was very light or I didn't care for the colors or they just were not good sellers. They were ecstatic when I took them to the family shelter. Said they would be so appreciated. Since then I generally wait till I have 30 or 40 bars at least. If I don't take them for donation my mom takes them 3 hours north of me and donates them there.

Dana,
You have inspired me to make some soap for my food bank! Maybe we can start a thread "My food bank soap" showing all the members that are donating soaps to their local food banks!

I was thinking the same thing! I stop by mine a few times a year with a check but adding a couple batches of soap could be a good way to feed my soapmaking addiction while contributing where there is really a need!

Awesome folks we have here!:thumbup:

I donate soap, though I have to admit that I don't put my company name on the bars, as I only want my name on the perfect ones to sell and packaging is expensive!

Call whomever you plan to donate to BEFORE you go. They may have certain requests that you should know first. The homeless shelter where I used to live requested that the bars be cut into "hotel size" bars as they had different people each night. The local food bank did not want home made soap that was not packaged "like store soap".

Latest posts

Back