Doing a last minute show

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A woman I met weeks ago asked if I would be interested in replacing her soap maker at next week's market.

I have to let her know tomorrow by 5.

Those soaps are packed away due to the construction in the house. I'd have to drag them out.

This is another tiny market at a Senior Living center (albeit a really ritzy one).

I'd like to get rid of this soap before it gets to old. It's still in good shape, but will be out of its "scent prime" soon.

I don't feel they're spruced up enough - they basically shrink wrapped with a handwritten label.
Any ideas how to quickly and easily - let me repeat that - quickly and easily make them more interested for this market? (If I decide to do this market)

I'm not thinking clearly at the moment, so feel free to comment on the wisdom of this market. (We're all suffering from this major chest cold)

have you thought about or tried wrapping them in wax paper? i dont sell mine but iv wrapped most of the soaps in waax paper, i think they look really nice much better than cling film or any kind of plastic alot of people here try to avoid plastic wrapping its been made very public about the amount of plastic waste in past year. then maybe making some nice labels for them as cerelife mentioned

Well, let's see - you have bars all ready to go and that you want to get sold soon. On the other hand, you need to sell enough of them to be worth the time spent to get them ready. Here are links to one of the Great Cakes challenges that included packaging. Granted, a lot of time was spent on these but it may give you some ideas for something simpler https://soapchallengeclub.com/history/Juried_Rustic_Soaps_Link_Up.html
https://soapchallengeclub.com/history/Voted_Rustic_Soaps_Link_Up.html
If you are replacing a label, which seems to be the easiest option, would you have to unwrap and repackage, or will the label you have peel off leaving the shrink wrap intact? If it won't and you have to completely repackage, I'd just leave one bar out and wrap the rest in either brown kraft (or white) paper, or in printed scrapbook or wrapping paper, print labels and call it a day.

^^What dibbles said. Speaking from experience, I've used "removeable" sticker labels (from online labels) on shrink wrap and they still never come off the shrink wrap cleanly. I end up re-doing the whole deal. I would be inclined to leave them as is with the handwritten label, turn on NetFlix and have a wrapping session with kraft or white paper, or even holiday wrapping paper or something fun. Leave one of each unwrapped at the show, and there ya go!

Not trying to discourage, but it the soap person that will be missing a regular and is this a weekly market? I only ask because if it is a weekly market shoppers looking for her usually wait until the next week. How bad can your packaging be? Can you not just tighten up the existing shrink wrap if you have inside labels? If you have cigar bands on the outside just put on some new ones. Even though it is a classy retirement home, it is still the age you are dealing with, so it does not make a lot of difference. Sorry I gave up on retirement homes a long time ago.

Me too. I did one last fall and went back in the spring. I wouldn't have sold a thing if it wasn't for the workers as the retirement home. But if you've got nothing better to do and want to try to unload some soap what the heck. Take a good book just in case.

Thanks for all of the opinions everyone, I took all of them into consideration. Since I just didn't have the time or energy (we're all sick, the house is under construction) I just didn't think I could pull this off. Yes, its an extremely informal event but I still want to keep to my standards, you know? The bars are neat and appropriately labeled, but I just want to present them better. I'll figure out what to do with them after we survive this virus and the demolition.

Latest posts

Back