Doggy Soap EO mix?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyvern

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good mix of EOs for a doggy soap...something that is good for sensitive skinned pooches as well as a natural type bug repellent?
Sandy

I dont have an exact recipe but i would say something that included citronella, tea tree, eucalyptus and clove (EO's), and maybe neem and citronella oil or something else??

how repellent would a wash off product be? it's very important to animals that lick their coats that stuff rinse off completely - which might impact how well your soap repels insects

just a thought

I sell a "Puppy-Mint" dogie shampoo bar. Researching the topic, led me to a 1:1:1:1 ratio of Lavender, Tea Tree, Atlas Cedar, and Peppermint. I used .5 oz ppo.
I just yesterday picked up a account at the groomer we use. At the Saturday farmers market, we have repeat customers giving us testimonials about the flee killing and the skin repair from the Tea Tree.

That is the best 4 EO's I've researched. Works well for us anyway. :wink:

Just be sure to post a warning that using the soap on felines could cause severe reactions even death.

Paul :wink:

I make a bar for my dogs that contains, peppermint oil, tea tree, and eucalyptus.

It kills fleas like crazy, but as mentioned before it is a rinse off product and does nothing to repel.

advice from a pro groomer & vet tech

Please people be Very carefull with using any EO or FO in pet shampoos. They can be deadly to the pets. Even just a bit of EO tea tree can make a pet real sick. It does not always wash off like you think.

If you do use it use absolute lowest doesage. Not the amount used for human. If you can smell it it would be too high. Cats and dog skin is alot thinner than ours and it burns much easier also.

IF in Doubt please talk to a VET that works in homeopathic/herbalitst procedures. They will know more than a regular vet that does not.

I have a disclaimer about NOT using this product on cats at all. I use 1/2 ounce per pound oils of the 4 eo blend. That means I use 1/8 ounce of tee tree oil PPO. I make a 3 pound log (oils only) that yields 14 1-1/8" thick bars. I would have 3/8 ounce of tee tree in all 14 bars, or 3/4 of 1 gram of tee tree in each of my 5 ounce bars, which will provide many washings per bar.

My 5 pound Yorke's have loved my Pupper-Mint shampoo bar, with goat milk and a 8% lye discount, superfatted with extra Castor and colloidal oats, very much since this spring!

Paul

IanT said:
I dont have an exact recipe but i would say something that included citronella, tea tree, eucalyptus and clove (EO's), and maybe neem and citronella oil or something else??

The something else might be lavender. Lavender is known for chasing away bugs too.

My mom being the Hippie that she is.. worked in an all natural foods store when I was a teenager and my godmother has some crazy degree in herbology or something in that area don't member.. anyways.. For our 20 pound chihauhaha mix we put some citronella (spelling) in his dog shampoo when he gets fleas.. and we put a lil bit of oatmeal for the dry skin it works really well to kill them pesky fleas and you can also make it in to a yard sprayer because we get sand fleas really bad and seven dust was not working and so my mom went herbal on the yard and killed off all the fleas using a water and citronella mixture (spelling again) but the smell is strong and it's fairly pet friendly but as the others said you still have to be careful with how much you use :wink:

EO Blend for Dog Soap

I have found that a blend of the following EO (of course to your preference):

-Lavendar
-Citronella
-Peppermint
-Lemon

And of course ground oatmeal is excellent for their skin and coat!

Good idea about asking a vet - I think I will ask mine next time we take Rockstar in for a checkup =)

(He's a miniature pinscher)

hee hee.. thanks!
He also has a variety of nicknames...
Most of the time he's Rocky or Rocky Stinky Puppy.
Oh, and Poopie.

:lol: I named my puppy layla, like the song LLAAYYLLAAA YOU GOT ME ON MY KNEESS LLAYLA... the first time I saw her I feel in love with her cute lil chubby self... and she was a grunter so I just had to take her home... my mom was upset and my stepdad was... really p.oed lol but Chester... he's chester the mo- well i'm sure you can finish the end of that lol b/c he has a teddy bear that he likes to have his time with... :oops: it's embarassing when someone is over and he's having his alone time

Latest posts

Back