Dog Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lady in the UK who was a dog groomer and created a hot process soap for dogs that has been used on dogs and horses all over the world. From her website, "My signature product is my 100% Coconut Oil Dog Soap which has proved increasingly popular and which was awarded Best Dog Skincare Product by the Animal Health and Wellness Awards is 2018". The recipe is included in her ebook as well as essential oils suggestions at Soap Making Made Easy Step by Step Guide

I make a dog soap - lye based. It's pretty much my standard recipe with a few tweaks and includes neem oil. We used to buy dog soap ( lye-based) from the pet store, so I just started making it myself. Dogs skin has a higher pH than humans, so my reckoning is that, if anything, they should be able to tolerate it better than us. I still use a 5% superfat.
I found lots of conflicting information about which essential oils to use for dogs. Some would say tea tree is a no-no, others would say tea tree is fine. Mint is another no-no. In the end, I went for a blend of EOS that NONE of the sites said could be problematic. If even one site said it was an issue I didn't include it:

Cedarwood 10g, Lemon Eucalyptus 10g, Sweet Orange 10g, Marjoram 6g

I've had several of my friends use the soap on their dogs with no problems. However, that's not to say that someone might have problems with it one day.

Here's Maggie choosing which bar she wants to be washed with:

View attachment 62391
OMG' Adorable' could be a poster fir your Doggie Shampoo' Caption & All. 💞🐶

I haven't made a dog soap in years, and kept it all for myself because it was really wonderful. I still use it on my dogs. I can't find the recipe, only the ingredients. I probably superfatted at 8 percent.
Oils of olive, rice bran, avocado, castor.
Shock Top Ale infused with marshmallow root, soap nuts, calendula, chamomile.
Goat milk.
Sodium hydroxide.
Shea butter.
Neem and emu oils.
Colloidal oatmeal.
A low amount of essential oils of lavender, cedarwood, tea tree.

Shock Top Ale infused with marshmallow root, soap nuts, calendula, chamomile.
I'm really curious to know how you infused the ale (so GOOD for shampoo!) with this lovely combo of herbs?

Personally, I would infuse one of the oils since I imagine the ale was used to make the lye solution. I'm wondering if the beneficial effect was lost in the process?

I made a dog shampoo once out of the soap berries. I boiled them in water, then strained the solution and added some neem. Our dog had sensitive skin that she had a special diet. She was an Alaskan Malamute/golden Retriever mix so she was verrryyyy furry. It worked pretty well and didn’t bother her. I had considered making a bar soap but after the sensitive skin incident when she licked and itched herself so bad, I decided against it.

Back