Dog soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
My friend has a small dog with itchy skin.
I would like to make some soap or him.
What would i need for it?

I keep meaning to search for a dog soap recipe but since you asked... I want to know this, too!
Also wondering, is soap the right thing for animal fur or would it be better to look into making a syndet bar?

Or, you can type dog soap into the search bar and pull up one of the hundreds of threads on the subject we already have, and then bring specific questions to a new topic.

PH is too high no more than 8 for dogs, and soap does not have that low. Synded bar is better idea especially if is done with BSB or LBS and not fragrance and god forbid Essential oils. I am working right now on Shampoo for Sphinx cats. It is scary how much is toxic for them , ie chamomile is toxic for cats and dogs too, and still they sell dog's shampoo with it

PH is too high no more than 8 for dogs, and soap does not have that low. Synded bar is better idea especially if is done with BSB or LBS and not fragrance and god forbid Essential oils. I am working right now on Shampoo for Sphinx cats. It is scary how much is toxic for them , ie chamomile is toxic for cats and dogs too, and still they sell dog's shampoo with it

Woah! Didn't know that about chamomile. And it's super neat that you're doing a shampoo for Sphinx cats. Do they need to be bathed really or would that only be used if they got into some mud or for a show?

Woah! Didn't know that about chamomile. And it's super neat that you're doing a shampoo for Sphinx cats. Do they need to be bathed really or would that only be used if they got into some mud or for a show?
Yes, every two weeks, My best friend has two of them. I love them dearly , even it took some time to accept them. No allergies on those cats for me;))

Thanks for the come backs.
I think for now I'll tell him about the dander shampoo.

I have an elderly Pug and he had itchy summer skin for quite a few years of his adult life. We live in the country and he has always gotten lots of baths because he likes being a get dirty Country Pug. I have always used my soap on him, usually the same I use myself with a higher superfat that others. Nothing fancy, just my regular soap. In recent years I swap between my soap and my husband's favorite pine tar.

Two years ago he was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Disease and is on daily medications for that. Last year he had bladder infections, a tick borne infection and after all the rounds of antibiotics he ended up with digestive and bowel issues. I got him through it with a complete change of diet, and even after he was fully back to (old pug) "normal" I stayed with a cooked homemade diet. Other than the medications for his condition his diet change has made the most significant change in him. His coat is beautiful and thick, this was the first Summer with ZERO itchy skin issues. Since he isn't as active as usual he isn't getting as dirty and I am bathing him less, but I still use my soap or pine tar soap and have never had issues.

Just like people, all skin is different and all dogs are different. But skin issues can also be diet related, not just allergies or sensitivities. I have always had him on what was considered high quality dog food, but homemade cleared up many issues. Just like with people it's good to look at the big picture.

Hello, I am new to soap making and also interested in a dog soap.. I was going to attempt something unscented, first. I read that lavender EO is safe for dogs. Is this incorrect? I wouldn't want to bring any harm to any pups.

Hello, I am new to soap making and also interested in a dog soap.. I was going to attempt something unscented, first. I read that lavender EO is safe for dogs. Is this incorrect? I wouldn't want to bring any harm to any pups.
you heard wrong, you need to read how dogs sense of smell works then think about formulation. With all due respect breeding dogs and judging on dogs shows in Europe required a knowledge, you must past a lot of exams to be a judge at dog show. I had. I would never expose my dog skin to ph of 10 which is SOAP. Essential oils are not for animals, If You have read my post you would know that I am making shampoo for a specific cat Spinx, hairless one. The PH must be very low like 6-7 and it should be like that for all animals.

you heard wrong, you need to read how dogs sense of smell works then think about formulation. With all due respect breeding dogs and judging on dogs shows in Europe required a knowledge, you must past a lot of exams to be a judge at dog show. I had. I would never expose my dog skin to ph of 10 which is SOAP. Essential oils are not for animals, If You have read my post you would know that I am making shampoo for a specific cat Spinx, hairless one. The PH must be very low like 6-7 and it should be like that for all animals.

That's something I could be on board with.

Arimara I actually decided what surfacants i will use for it
LSB , BSB voyager so you can check the ingredients in it and probably DISODIUM LAURYL SULFOSUCCINATE DLS mild, and just distilled water, no scent no color. I will have ph 6-7 so good enough.

I did read your post, which I was asking you because you seemed to have more knowledge on the matter. I referenced "reading", not hearing, about lavender and certain essential oils(peppermint, eucalyptus) because I am unsure. I have read conflicting arguments on whether EOs are safe for dogs. I know that EOs are not safe for cats. I am also aware that the PH must be lower than regular soap in dog soap. I am thinking about an unscented dog soap in the near future.

I'm just going to take your answer for a no. Thanks for you time.

I did read your post, which I was asking you because you seemed to have more knowledge on the matter. I referenced "reading", not hearing, about lavender and certain essential oils(peppermint, eucalyptus) because I am unsure. I have read conflicting arguments on whether EOs are safe for dogs. I know that EOs are not safe for cats. I am also aware that the PH must be lower than regular soap in dog soap. I am thinking about an unscented dog soap in the near future.

Part of why you have to do a lot of research on this is because no soap is going to yield a pH lower than 8. If one does, it's not a soap. There are plenty of surfactants that are far more gentle than soap that are safe for furry munchkins. Unfortunately, I'll admit that I'm too lazy and lack the storage to really try to make a pet shampoo or anything of the such.

You are right about research! That is why I am asking here, too. :) I read that a little citric acid may lower the overall ph of the soap but I haven't found any results posted yet. I found one website that swore that using apple cider vinegar, at trace I believe, would lower the ph their recipe. I don't know how I feel about that, and other people have mentioned that the vinegar would only neutralize the lye during the saponification process. Thanks for your reply!

you can not make soap at that low ph but maybe you mean the surfacants?
No you still trying to get low ph in soap, it is not going to happen, When you lower ph you will have no soap but some gross glob in your hand...... Citric acid is not to lower ph in soaps (it is useful in lotions) but to cut down on soap scum
Sorry I am not posting here anymore...................it does not make sense

Last edited:
You are right about research! That is why I am asking here, too. :) I read that a little citric acid may lower the overall ph of the soap but I haven't found any results posted yet. I found one website that swore that using apple cider vinegar, at trace I believe, would lower the ph their recipe. I don't know how I feel about that, and other people have mentioned that the vinegar would only neutralize the lye during the saponification process. Thanks for your reply!

Did you read THIS? DeeAnna shares a lot of sciency info and puts it into laymen terms. She and other chem-types are worth paying attention to. Top of Murray Hill (TOMH for short) is also good so some of this info.

In any case, I don't need chelators in my soaps since I don't have hard water. I can't help you with additives like citric acid or vinegar since I never used them. As far as pH is concerned with soaps, it will always be between 8 and 12 (I believe). Any blog claiming to have recipes with a pH balanced soap is probably better avoided. My snarky pessimistic side would ask "pH balanced for what?" and say "show me a handmade soap with a pH of 7".

Back