Dog soap: Glycerin or CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumyummy

Reaction score
Okay, I am a kitty owner and wondering which soap would work best for dogs, glycerin or CP? I've tried in the past to bathe a dog with CP and the fur seemed to stick to the CP bars. I tried a glycerin bar and it seemed to lather better and far easier than the CP. It's been ages since we had a dog and wondered what most of you dog owners used. There are things to think about such as dry skin or other conditions similar to humans.

Any thoughts?

~amy

not sure but if youve got a kittey make sure you dont use essential oils on their skin! they dont eliminate from their system because their liver cannot metabolize them...= toxic! , dogs are easier with that stuff...you might want to try to make a liquid soap shampoo type deal with CP shavings and add a little glycerin ??

The natural dog shampoo at wally world has eucalyptus and cedar. I use regular bar soap (HP, but CP would work) on my goats who get bathed more often then the dogs :roll: don't know if that helps, but I have noticed that the EO's stick to them very well. They don't smell bad (to me) anyway.

Nah, I don't mess with the kitties as far as baths go as they hate it and then also their systems are down with EOs either.

LOL, about the goats and the baths! Goat hair is very coarse and porous so no wonder they are smelling good after a bath. I LOVE goats too and the smell of them has never bothered me. My uncle raised them and I wanted to move into their barn which was fitted with the most awesome ramp system for them to have stalls on three floors. Each knew where to go at night when it was time to round them up at the end of the day!

Okay, "goat" sidetracked there, but I guess I could make my homemade glycerin soap that I make from my CP shavings. Thanks for the reminder!

Looks like my BFs neighbor's dog is gonna get a soap gift this weekend.

FWIW, a dog's skin has a different ph than a humans. Human type products are not good for pets.
Just a thought to keep in mind. And be very careful with FO and EO.

HTH

Dana

(Veterinary Technican)

I make a MP, Doggie Shampoo Bar. I got the recipe from the internet, had friends try it on their pooches, loved it, so now I make them and sell them. Just add castor oil, glycerin, vit. e, tea tree and peppermint eos. AGAIN this is not for the kitties, just the doggies (and peoples too, if you're into this kinda soap!). TEA TREE OIL is VERY Toxic to most cats. (one of mine seems to like the smell of it though! weird).

(hey Ian, how's that kitty behavin these days??? Maybe she'd like a little TT bath??) jj, u know that!

muahahahaha ..i finally tamed her down a bit through much trial and effort (and many scars lol)...but shes alright now...she still gets on my nerves sometimes!

I make a M&P Glycern Pet Shampoo Bar. I really like it as it's gentle to my Widdles skin.

pet shampoo and soap

We make both liquid and bar soap from natural glycerin that we get from making bio diesel. I wash all my police dogs with the liquid and it works great! There area bunch of k9 handlers that use it now to wash their parnters and the runs.

Jason
www.thebrownsoapcompany.com

Back