dog soap bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookiegrrl

Reaction score
hi

anyone have a good recipe for a doggie shampoo bar or doggie cream? my dog is white and the vet states that he needs some sun cream during summertime. Is it wise to make my own? anyone know of any good doggie soap recipes? much appreciated.

yup another newbie! so ill need the basics. thanks in advance.

by the way great forum!

im pretty sure anything you use for yourself that would be high in moisture content would be ok... i have also heard that garlic and eucalyptus can be used to prevent ticks and fleas in dogs and cats... so i would definately include these in a soap i made... also vitamin B12 is supposed to protect against mosquitos, it messes up their homing system because they home in on C02 that is emitted from the skin of animals and humans.... so this would be a great additive for summer/ spring.

hope that helped a little...Im no expert, ive only made one batch of soap but I do have a little knowledge of things like I mentioned above with the oils preventing bugs and such...

hope that helps!

IanT

IanT said:
im pretty sure anything you use for yourself that would be high in moisture content would be ok... i have also heard that garlic and eucalyptus can be used to prevent ticks and fleas in dogs and cats... so i would definately include these in a soap i made... also vitamin B12 is supposed to protect against mosquitos, it messes up their homing system because they home in on C02 that is emitted from the skin of animals and humans.... so this would be a great additive for summer/ spring.

hope that helped a little...Im no expert, ive only made one batch of soap but I do have a little knowledge of things like I mentioned above with the oils preventing bugs and such...

hope that helps!

thanks! well i just thought garlic was kinda toxic to dogs? i will try the eucalyptus tho! Im definately new to the soap making biz but i would just like to cater for cats and dogs and was thinking of doing a range! thanks again!

IanT

kookiegrrl said:
hi

anyone have a good recipe for a doggie shampoo bar or doggie cream? my dog is white and the vet states that he needs some sun cream during summertime. Is it wise to make my own? anyone know of any good doggie soap recipes? much appreciated.

yup another newbie! so ill need the basics. thanks in advance.

by the way great forum!

I am not at my shop right now but when I get there, I will look for my dog soap recipe and post it for you.

im interested in the recipe too because my cat has fleas that just wont vacate.... and Im weary of the shampoo i use for her now because it seems very harsh and doesnt really kill them...kind of just drys out her skin so i stopped using it!

33% coconut oil
27% palm oil
25% olive oil
12% canola oil
3% castor oil

At trace I sometimes will add:
jojoba oil
neem oil

Make sure to run your numbers for your batch size through the soap calc. You can use pretty much any soap recipe but it is the blend of eos you use that will repel fleas and ticks. I use a blend of eos consisting of eucalyptus, citronella, cedar wood lemongrass eucalyptus & a little bit of peppermint, lavender & tea tree oil.

Or you can keep it very simple and just use a blend of citronella, cedar wood and lemongrass)

Neem oil---yuck!!! ever get that stuff on your hands!?? the smell will NOT come off! i use it for plants, it does wonders on protecting them against bugs, itd prob be great for a soap for animals, how does it smell after its all finished in the soap?? does it still have that make you want to gag smell??

i am definately going to try this out sometime! thanks!

IanT said:
Neem oil---yuck!!! ever get that stuff on your hands!?? the smell will NOT come off! i use it for plants, it does wonders on protecting them against bugs, itd prob be great for a soap for animals, how does it smell after its all finished in the soap?? does it still have that make you want to gag smell??

i am definately going to try this out sometime! thanks!

LOL Neem oil does stink. To me it smells like old musty socks but it is so good for many different skin conditions in dogs and people - psoriasis, acne excema, etc. It is also wonderful for hair/fur and skin. It has great healing properties. I use it in my shampoo bars as well.

cpsoaper,

thats a soap i'd use.... on myself sound pretty good.

My single one advice on Dog soap:

If you use Tea tree oil make sure its labeled Dogs only, Tea tree oil and Cats dont mix.

aahh useful tip! thanks! why doesnt it mix well with cats??

they dont like it or is it harmful to them?

EDIT: I cant even think of what neem oil smells like to me its just plaaaah lol i will definately try to use it in soap at some point! going to look into its healing/curative powers as i have not researched it yet except for plants

wow didnt know that an dim glad i havent used it on my cat yet! thank you a million times for the tip! would never want to be a part of animal cruelty!

Chay said:
Kookie, I like your dogs smile. Is he/she a Dogo?

lol yeh i think its a funny pic of him. hes a doggo! we rescued him and although i didnt want a staffordshire bull terrier i just saw him and he saw me and that was it really. All the dogs were barking but he was just there, coming over when i called him. I have a ton of funny pics of him and may change the avatar every now and then! hes my pride and joy, hence wanting many doggie recipes to pamper him with as hes prone to skin problems.

CPSoaper said:
33% coconut oil
27% palm oil
25% olive oil
12% canola oil
3% castor oil

At trace I sometimes will add:
jojoba oil
neem oil

Make sure to run your numbers for your batch size through the soap calc. You can use pretty much any soap recipe but it is the blend of eos you use that will repel fleas and ticks. I use a blend of eos consisting of eucalyptus, citronella, cedar wood lemongrass eucalyptus & a little bit of peppermint, lavender & tea tree oil.

Or you can keep it very simple and just use a blend of citronella, cedar wood and lemongrass)

thanks for the recipe! i havent actually got round to advancing further than MP stuff! :oops: but ill give it a go!

Neil said:
cpsoaper,

thats a soap i'd use.... on myself sound pretty good.

My single one advice on Dog soap:

If you use Tea tree oil make sure its labeled Dogs only, Tea tree oil and Cats dont mix.

Thanks for saying that. I did not think to mention it. And as Tabitha pointed out, most EOs are toxic to cats. Some are toxic to birds as well.

Ian,

I think you had mentioned using a soap for cats. From what I have read you should avoid EOs as cats livers are not able to remove the eos from there systems so they build up in the blood becomng toxic.

I have 4 cats and make sure my room I am working in is well vented so there is no building up of fumes that could cause problems.

Joanne

Back