Dog Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Klesick

Reaction score
Somebody once asked for dog shampoo, I have a recipe, but I have never made it and I don't have any dogs... so its not tried an true, I'll leave it up to you to make. :)

15 oz water
6 oz Lye
16 oz coconut oil
4 oz palm oil
10 oz olive oil
4 oz caster oil
4 oz jojoba oil
2 oz aloe vera oil
.5 oz cedar E.O.
.5 oz citronella E.O.
.5 oz pennyroyal E.O.

Like I said, I have no idea how it works...

What's a pooch's skin PH? I'm a little freaked out about getting the PH wrong and hurting my baby boy (a hairy baby boy of non-human variety :wink: ) so I haven't tried a dog soap yet. Also the thought of rubbing a BAR type soap (as opposed to a shampoo liquid) across a fur body just seems....weird. LOL! Does it really work well?

And just because I jump at every available opportunity to show off my best pal, dig the mug.... hee! :D

jack.jpg

I'll give it a go. My folks have dogs and would very much like a dog soap for them.

I'll make it up next month when I have 5 minutes to myself to experient with a new soap :)

I use a castille with rosemary and mint ground into powder and I love how it works. There`s no itch and their coats feel wonderful!

ph

Dog's skin has a higher ph than ours. You want it to be mildly acidic, at least that is what commercial dog shampoos shoot for. I'm a vet tech and I actually use a shampoo that has acetic acid (vinegar) in it, callec MalAcetic Ultra. Not sure if you can make a bar soap acidic?

LJA said:
What's a pooch's skin PH?

i've read it's 6.2 - 7.2

I haven't tested my doggie shampoo bar. i guess to try it out i'd have to remove the "not tested on animals" portion of my label :wink:

Has anyone tried it yet? I put it through my soapcalc and to use 6oz of lye it's a lye discount of 0%.

Is that safe? Or should I just do my standard 6% lye discount?

Back