dog shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissaroth

Reaction score
As I write this, my head is spinning!

I own a dog daycare and I want to add a dog shampoo and a dog "spritz" to sell in my retail.

I LOVE smell goodies (lotions, shampoo, candles...you name it..I love it) so I thought I'd throw my hand in on making this stuff.

I've done TONS of research that only confused me more. I don't have the time to really make this stuff from scratch so I was looking in to M&P's or a pre-made base from someplace.

I thought I had my mind set on a M&P glycerin type soap because when I did a search for 'dog shampoo bar' and looked at everyone's ingredients it breaks down that the ingredients are pretty much m&p soaps. Now I'm second guessing myself wondering if this will work??

I looked into the liquid shampoo base from natural solutions and this would work I guess...any other liquid types?

Very confused....can you guys push me in the right direction?? PLEASE lol

Another thing you need to make sure of if you are going to make dog shampoo (liquid or bars) is the PH factor. Dog PH is different that people and if you use PH balanced (for people) it will wreak havoc on their skin and coat.

This is my issue with "doggie shampoo" currently.

My Mom called my last night asking if I could make a shampoo bar for my new pup... I guess everything you buy has so many chemicals in it, it can really really hurt their eyes and skin...

If anyone finds a good/easy recipe, post it plz!!

Lane said:
My Mom called my last night asking if I could make a shampoo bar for my new pup... I guess everything you buy has so many chemicals in it, it can really really hurt their eyes and skin...

If anyone finds a good/easy recipe, post it plz!!

I tend to use a recipe with several EO's, but the base for CP is Olive Oil, Coconut, Palm, Shea Butter, and Emu Oil. The EO's I use are Litsea, Lemon Grass, Tea Tree and Rosemary.

You might want to Soap Calc your own recipe in a small batch - dogs with lots of hair may need different ingredients than a smooth coated dog. I am still not sure how to get the PH to a neutral 7, but am working on it currently.

You could also use a milk base or aloe vera juice base instead of water.

JMO - :) Hope it helps!

Here are a few recipes I posted to a group afew years back. Please check with your vet before choosing a fragrance or essential oil. Some fragrances &/or essential oils can be deadly for dogs. MOST all fragrance essential oils are deadly to cats.

> Pet Recipes
> from Tabitha
>
> Minty Shampoo Bar
> 1lb soap base
> 2TBSP Castor Oil
> 1/4 tsp Vitamin E
> 1/4 tsp Glycerin
> Peppermint eo
>
> Soothing Shampoo Bar
> 1lb Oatmeal soap base (skin soother)
> 2TBSP Castor Oil
> 1/4 tsp Vitamin E
> 1/4 tsp Glycerin
> Lavender eo (spirit soother)
>
> Green Tea & Peppermint (or Lavender)
> between bath Spritzer
> 8oz distilled Water
> 1 tea bag
> polysorbit ( to blend oil w/ water)
> 1tsp Cidar Vinigar
> Peppermint (or Lavender) eo
> (Boil water, steap tea, cool, add other ingredients , shake well &
> bottle, add a sprayer top. Label:Shake, spritz, rub into fur, avoid
> eyes & face.)
>
> FYI
> 1)Label everything:not intended for kittens, pups, lactating moms
or pets w/ skin conditions, when in doubt discontinue & ask your vet.
> 2)Bug away Shampoo & Spritz can be made by cutting f.o in half &
> adding Citronella E.O &/or Tea-Tree E.O &/or Oil of Neem.
> 3)Fragrance oils are duplicates of Essential oils. However, they
> only dupe the fragrance & not the medisimal properties. ie) Citronella
> f.o. smells like Citronells E.O. but does not repel bugs!

The mist recipe is based on a dreadlock rinse/soak. Dreads can't easily be washed but you can soak them in strong herbal tea w/ vinigar & fragrance to refresh them.

Back