Dog shampoo?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade

Reaction score
I make shampoo bars for my family, but after looking at the price of dog shampoo I think I'd just like to take a stab at making that myself too. Anyone have a good recipe?

I just use a regular soap bar recipe for my dogs. I don't put as much fragrance in it and usually opt for a clean scent. I'm sure there are recipes more formulated for pets, but it seems to work fine for me.

Great idea! I didn't even think about making shampoo for my dogs! If any one has a good recipe post it here.

I add oats for itchy skin and caster & vit E for a shiny coat. MANY EO's are toxic to dogs & almost EVERY EO is toxic to cats so it would be a good idea to ask your vet about scents. I use either lavender or peppermint for my pooch soap.

Wow.. i didn't know they could be toxic to pets. Do you know of any others that are safe for dogs?

I am more of a cat person than a dog person & know fragrances can stop a cat from breathing, it messes w/ their respirtory system. I don't know what scents are safe for dogs. You could google it but I don't know that I would trust what I found. Better to ask a vet you trust.

Tabitha said:
I add oats for itchy skin and caster & vit E for a shiny coat. MANY EO's are toxic to dogs & almost EVERY EO is toxic to cats so it would be a good idea to ask your vet about scents. I use either lavender or peppermint for my pooch soap.

Good to know. I didn't even think about that.

I use essential oils in my home as room sprays. Could that be harmful to my dogs as well?

My pooch needs a bath. Anyone have a recipe that would be good for him?

I can give you a good mist recipe.

Green Tea & Peppermint (or Lavender)
between bath spritzer

8oz distilled Water
1-3 tea bags
1tsp Cidar Vinigar
Peppermint (or Lavender) f.o.

Boil water, steap tea, cool, add other ingredients , shake well &
bottle, add a sprayer top. Label:Shake, spritz, rub into fur, avoid
eyes & face.

edited to add: you will need something like polysorbit so the fragrance oil will combine w/ the warer.

Not for use on puppies, kittens or cats.

I add Lavender, Tea Tree, a bit of Citronella, and Ground Oatmeal to my doggie soaps.

The oatmeal is really good for their skin.

Yep, ya gotta be careful when scenting doggie soaps. Their skin isn't like ours & some stuff causes hot spots, rashes...all sorts of irritations for poochie.

I don't scent mine at all, just to be safe. I use oats in mine also & it works great for any type of skin problems. And I second the Castor oil & vitamin E for shiny coats. I stopped using store-bought shampoos on my dogs over a year ago and only use my doggie soaps & they're much shinier now. I think maybe the store-bought stuff left a residue on them or something too, cuz they itched like crazy before but don't have much trouble at all with that now.

I used an unscented soap on my dog. It works great. I stopped buying the storebought stuff years ago.

Doggie Soap Recipe

Ingredients:
2 lbs. M&P base
2 oz. liquid shea butter
1 1/4 TBS Cedarwood essential oil
1/2 TSP Lavender essential oil
1/2 TSP Rosemary essential oil
1/2 TSP Eucalyptus essential oil
1/2 TSP Peppermint essential oil

Instructions:
Cut soap into chunks and melt in double boiler or in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring gently inbetween heatings. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in essential oils and pour into molds to cool.

Latest posts

Back