Dog Shampoo bar: CP vs M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperhounds

Reaction score
I would like to make a dog shampoo bar for my four dogs. I have read a lot of posts on the subject and it seems it can be done with both CP and M&P soaps.

Is there an advantage over using one method or the other? I was thinking that M&P probably has a longer shelf life than CP. The dogs don't get bathed that often, so if a soap lasts for a year or more I worry that the CP soap would eventually go bad?

It looks like I could use my goats milk base for the dog shampoo bar, or it seems like most CP recipes are fine for dogs? Would the M&P be more mild on their skin?

And it looks like Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, and Lemongrass are all safe for dogs. At a percentage of 2% or less total? and yes I know not to use them on cats (we don't have cats).

I would think the advantage of CP is that you have total control over the ingredients vs M&P. That way, you could make sure you don't use to much Coconut Oil for example or you can use canola oil in a batch. M&P would have to have some known gentle ingredients for it to be safe for dogs but I admittedly can't get my mitts on M&P for a while...

MP is a lye based soap, I can't say it's any gentler than regular soap on my skin. You just want something that you'd be comfortable using on a child, nothing crazy. Plus I think a dilute vinegar rise is important, and don't bathe with lye based soap too often. I use salt soap on my dog, and it leaves him glossy. But he only gets a bath a few times a year. I use commercial baby shampoo on my cats though.

Why is it you are putting in EO's ? Is it to make them smell nice - dogs don't like smelling nice. I've spoken to the vet very recently and she said NOT to put EO's or FO's in a pet soap. They don't need it and it can upset the ph of their skin.

I made a 80%OO and 20%CO soap for my dog. I put a little tea tree EO in it for antiseptic qualities. More for me than him as I'm always getting little cuts on my hands from work. I was tiding up out the back yard the other day and I found a bar that has been sitting on the window sill for I dont know who long. probably at least 6 months. It was a little faded from the sun but otherwise fine. It was CP soap. And yes I haven't been in the back yard much since he died, which is why it was still there. Dont really see the point anymore :(

Why is it you are putting in EO's ? Is it to make them smell nice - dogs don't like smelling nice. I've spoken to the vet very recently and she said NOT to put EO's or FO's in a pet soap. They don't need it and it can upset the ph of their skin.

I've recently read that Cedarwood and Citronella EO's can help keep insects out of their fur. I would not substitute it for a good defense like Frontline, etc.

I've not heard or read anything about those 2 being bad for dogs. I have read that Tea Tree is bad for dogs.

My oldest border collie had a rash that the Vet could not get to go away, an old woman I know that I think is some kind of witch(my ex wife) gave me oregano EO, and that cleared up the rash.

Latest posts

Back