Dog adoption (long)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
About a month and a half ago, I lost my sweet Mimi, the cat that I rescued from the parking lot where I worked, about 12 years ago. I had planned to get a dog as soon as I retired (about a year and a half ago), but Mimi's health had started to fail, and I didn't want to put her under any more stress, so I put it off. I wasn't planning to go ahead with adopting a dog so soon, but I was unprepared for the enormous void that she has left behind. The house seems so empty without her. I find myself looking for her in the places where she liked to hang out. And I especially miss her in the mornings when she would snuggle next to me before I got up to make the coffee. It's harder than I thought it would be.

So I started looking at the adoption websites...OMG...so many dogs out there, waiting for homes. It's heartbreaking. I wasn't thinking about getting a smaller dog, but recently had to help an elderly neighbor get her even more elderly German shepherd into her car for a vet visit, and realized that I'm getting older too, and it's probably a good idea to get a smaller dog that I'll be able to manage on my own if I need to.

I really wanted a Boston terrier, but they're quite popular, and the few that are up for adoption all have reasons why they wouldn't work for me, mainly that they don't get along with cats. (I still have my other 12 year old rescue cat.) So I've been looking at those cute little ratchas...rat terrier/chihuahua mixes. They're awfully cute, and there are so many of them. So I made a list, and went through it with a fine toothed comb, filtering out the ones that didn't work for one reason or another, til I came up with a short list.

At the top of the list, was an adorable little guy in NYC, in the East Village. My girlfriend, who knows NY well, and would have gone with me, said not to even bother trying to drive down, that we should take the train, then the subway, then walk to foster's apartment. This would have required two trips, a "meet and greet", then back for the adoption, if I were approved. This was the most expensive adoption, so that, along with the fact that I have a lot of dog supplies to purchase, two round trip train trips, the subway, and carrying the little guy through the crowded holiday time streets of NY, bumped him down to the bottom of the list.

Next, is another adorable male mix, and over the past few days I have filled out a questionnaire, an adoption application, and sent two seperate emails, and have heard nothing back. I'm really frustrated. I know it's just before the Thanksgiving holiday, but shouldn't someone be watching their emails? I'm checking my email about every 5 minutes...I'm making myself crazy. This little guy would be perfect, he even likes cats! Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I don't want to move on to the next guy until I find out about this one, one way or another. How long should I give them to respond?

I'm going to go make myself a cup of chai to sooth my nerves. LOL Wish me luck!

Adoption agencies can be especially frustrating when you are trying to get a dog from them. They are often overwhelmed with pets, and a lot of them are all-volunteer with only foster homes, no 'store front' or even an office to work out of. Plus the fact that it is a holiday week, a lot of the fosterers and other volunteers may be traveling or trying to cope with their homes full of dogs and people. Unfortunately it can sometimes take weeks or even months to hear back from an agency about your application. If you want a dog quickly then I would look at kill shelters, as those dogs are the ones who REALLY need saved. Good luck in your search!!

Last edited:
I get your frustration. Please keep in mind that these rescue organizations are almost always run 100% by volunteers. You may hear something about it next week, or it may wait until January.

Consider contacting your local humane society. They are usually in contact with the local rescue groups. Some rescue groups are good at the online stuff, some are not. My mom was looking to adopt a dog and kept running into, "Oh, that dog's been adopted, we just haven't updated the website." Wait until after Thanksgiving and give them a call on Monday. I personally think they should take the time once a week to respond and let you know they've received your application.

Also, contact local pet stores. Almost all of our local ones work with groups to do pet adoptions - very very few actually sell dogs and cats any more. They can tell you who they work with and if they will be having an adoption event.

As a fellow dog and cat lover - thank you for adopting and not buying!

. If you want a dog quickly then I would look at kill shelters, as those dogs are the ones who REALLY need saved. Good luck in your search!!

This dog came from a high kill shelter. I understand how busy they must be, with so many dogs needing help, but I would hope that someone would be assigned to check emails, since potential adopters may get frustrated and give up. A couple of the other places that I emailed questions about their dogs, responded withing a day or two. This dog's beautiful brown eyes are just reaching out to me, or I'd just say forget it, and move on.

I get your frustration. Please keep in mind that these rescue organizations are almost always run 100% by volunteers. You may hear something about it next week, or it may wait until January.

As a fellow dog and cat lover - thank you for adopting and not buying!

I will give them until next Tuesday, I think that's as long as I can possibly wait. I hate to pass on this little guy, since I feel such a connection, but I know that there are many others out there who need a home just as badly. And I could never think of buying a dog or a cat when there are so many out there just waiting for someone to take them home. I'm firmly convinced that rescued animals make the best pets because they know they've been saved, and they love you all the more for it. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and I can't wait!!!

I'll send some good luck mojo your way that they get back to you soon. It's funny how when you feel a connection you want it now.

Thanks, I'll take all the good mojo I can get. :grin: Funny that you should talk about a connection, my girlfriend asked me how I could ever choose, with so many adorable little faces looking back at me, and I told her that I just feel a connection with some of them. I look in their little face, and see something...I don't know what, and I can imagine holding them in my arms. It's hard though, thinking about all of them out there. Hard to choose just one.

We adopted our dog and knew he was meant to be ours the moment we first met him. I think he knew too, right from day one he acted as though he had always lived with us. Good luck with your adoption :) Hope they get back to you quicky!!!

The benefit of adopting one that is being fostered is that you get to learn their behavior and personality from the input of the foster home. My son did this, and got a well behaved, fully potty trained dog that gets along beautifully with the resident house cat. He knew this because the foster house had cats. He also got to "foster" the dog for a few days to be sure it would get along with the cat in his home. This is not always possible through a humane shelter adoption.

I believe in adopting through local pounds and humane shelters, don't get me wrong. But, if you already have an animal in the home that does not need to be overly disturbed, getting an already fostered dog is the best option by far.

We adopted our dog and knew he was meant to be ours the moment we first met him. I think he knew too, right from day one he acted as though he had always lived with us. Good luck with your adoption :) Hope they get back to you quicky!!!

If I had known how to change the title of this thread, I would have updated it. I hope you've seen that the rescue organization did get back to me, and that the adoption was approved. He's coming on Dec. 10th. I do feel like he's meant to be with me. Thanks for your good wishes!

The benefit of adopting one that is being fostered is that you get to learn their behavior and personality from the input of the foster home. My son did this, and got a well behaved, fully potty trained dog that gets along beautifully with the resident house cat. He knew this because the foster house had cats. He also got to "foster" the dog for a few days to be sure it would get along with the cat in his home. This is not always possible through a humane shelter adoption.

I believe in adopting through local pounds and humane shelters, don't get me wrong. But, if you already have an animal in the home that does not need to be overly disturbed, getting an already fostered dog is the best option by far.

Yes, I love the idea that he's coming from a home, not a shelter. His profile says he likes other dogs, cats and chickens! He's housebroken, likes to ride in the car, sleep in his dog cave and to cuddle. It also mentions that he prefers women over men. She said he doesn't growl, he just shies away from men until he gets to know them. Hopefully the fact that he's coming from a home situation will make his transition easier. I'm the one who's going to be an emotional wreck! I'm going to have to work very hard at staying calm and not going all squealy when they hand him to me off the truck. My girlfriend's going to come with me so that she can hold him for the short ride home and keep me under control. LOL

Latest posts

Back