Does this label need more or less.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobosolo

Reaction score
So my daughter and I have been making soap for a little over a year now and want to try a farmers market. Her grandmother in another state already has a little soap business and inspired us to try it. So in wanting to keep my costs down and keep my labels fairly simple , this is what I have so far. I am a little worried the cigar band style may not be enough ? just wondering what your thoughts are. Comments and criticisms welcome as I would like to get my ducks in row before this summer when market season starts.

YUZmL4Z.jpg

Wow those are cute! Sorry, wouldn't know anything about costs but I just came by to admire these, and the soap hehe

Is the print on both sides?

What do you mean by "the cigar band style may not be enough?" I mean, what are you worried about?

I've seen lots of displays where people use only those, some shrink wrap and then use the bands, shrink wrap with a small label inside, and some people have none whatsoever lol

I've also seen rows of "naked" soaps on display, and only get a label when they've been bought, and those soaps come from "inside" not from the display.

What's your plan? Those with market experience will help you better :)

I think that's really cute. My only issue is there's no scent label on the soap. Is it peppermint, hence the picture of the peppermint?

One downside is that your label offers no protection for the soap. If you have pets, soap loves to collect hair!

I think they are super cute. Personally, I like that you don't have them shrink-wrapped. I would suggest putting the fragrance on the front and moving the ingredients to the back.

As a customer, I think simple is best. Tell me your name, what the fragrance is, ingredients and I'm good, in an attractive font. I don't even need a picture on the label-- the soap itself is a good enough visual, in my opinion.

Regarding fragrance names, I'm also one of those people who would rather know what it smells like, rather than some kind of romanticized name. "Peppermint" instead of "Christmas Joy," for example.

You also need to list your colorants and a weight on the front of the label. Both in wt and grams.
Ah, weight. using hot process so my numbers vary. is there a good way to say 4oz or more ? like "weighing approximately 4- 4.5 oz." ?

Ah, weight. using hot process so my numbers vary. is there a good way to say 4oz or more ? like "weighing approximately 4- 4.5 oz." ?
I'd say you could write ~4oz. I've seen people who put "minimum 4 oz" --like you're guaranteeing you get at least what's on the label and maybe a bit more :)

So my daughter and I have been making soap for a little over a year now and want to try a farmers market. Her grandmother in another state already has a little soap business and inspired us to try it. So in wanting to keep my costs down and keep my labels fairly simple , this is what I have so far. I am a little worried the cigar band style may not be enough ? just wondering what your thoughts are. Comments and criticisms welcome as I would like to get my ducks in row before this summer when market season starts.

YUZmL4Z.jpg

That’s gorgeous soap! I like how the orange color in label picks up on the orange color of the soap. Only thing...do u need two graphics...earth and candy?

Rather wrap soaps - better for hygiene and presentation - plus markts get very dusty and sometimes muddy.
I agree on the two logos - only make one logo - and put scent on.
Love love your fonts though - what did you use?

I think I need a few colors that pop on each label and attract the eye to our product. We have another Soaper in town and she sell to a much higher end client then my target market. A lot of her soaps are beautiful CP swirls with "fancy" names but her packaging is very plain. A lot of the women in my office have her soaps but never use them as they were gifts and they just display them. My market is geared towards the city family who want local/handmade items. I have my booth designs ready and want my product to attract people and their children as I make soaps in "kid sized" bars as well.

I print these on my laser printer and get 8 labels per sheet, a full sheet cost 2 cent a page (aprox.) and these use way less ink then that. So I think at this cost point, adding more color is fine until it over whelms the label or get too gaudy.

Gabriola is the free font. I use all opensource stock photos, images and fonts until it gets a little warmer out and I can get out and shoot pictures of our actual soaps outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need a few colors that pop on each label and attract the eye to our product. We have another Soaper in town and she sell to a much higher end client then my target market. A lot of her soaps are beautiful CP swirls with "fancy" names but her packaging is very plain. A lot of the women in my office have her soaps but never use them as they were gifts and they just display them. My market is geared towards the city family who want local/handmade items. I have my booth designs ready and want my product to attract people and their children as I make soaps in "kid sized" bars as well.

I print these on my laser printer and get 8 labels per sheet, a full sheet cost 2 cent a page (aprox.) and these use way less ink then that. So I think at this cost point, adding more color is fine until it over whelms the label or get too gaudy.
Why not do different colours for diffrent scents?

Why not do different colours for diffrent scents?
I use different images for different scents. for example my lemon/teatree. this is an older label, still trying to standardize my labels. and get them all cohesive. I like the idea of ingredients on the back, I will need to mark it up tonight and see how it goes. As well as adding weight.

jI9rNt8gDGJH-0L62u0zx2Bu5HhoCgrtxEV6Kyn0JGES5iBcROumd3WJOVQJ-XPyirB4cjPc6ETbO3bRFaDOGWL1j6XVqkr308qC30TLSN-X5ptWbfWYOVFqiPF0Nm49ySxCOVqhfTPgT0xnN9aLPNREx6KB17L8tSsZ5alIr-VGPNMSYiju7FUtiFUs2c8cJz9ZYtT6ZnXWK2mAlKU5lyggps4Atq3o3J-IjMZgDFx2YFbZBJkdKExiVhH_TGaCWRj2EznN4Ane4TxYLq530cz_PT-9PkMAyGYj2Z-vB2sN7wpO_RGG_-XFbzL6xdkLQOGN_LYfYn_2qIQS_u33m87oP72kR8uVUfgAvddnpQ0zt-XHSC06QCBb27X9ndDG3luOEl_e8zGn0yLEy0gJm7YIFAYe9VQy4K5_l9uuqhdl7bE2ZKAQEbuhreAF3RjQVuedM75zf-2_ldkXf3o17xfmO_Fz7LLT6V5aVRudr_rTpJor1Zbh8s-VM5TGN8izCcAKlaGpypmll1w8rD2tmcTZHrP39dnVONAs-IYXGsrOeISpFAoHhkATkcEe0XXVrCgCMfoDYDNrrcpye1c2oPzgM4u3NNfnXKybtDmR8BJ8f4mK8pRZwsAYbgNFLQLKtkCB6xagx3zy-uDZ_c-g2iD7nA=w1348-h1020-no

YUZmL4Z.jpg
These look great, I love it that so much of your beautiful soap shows so that customers can see what they will be getting!

I believe the correct "legal" way to note weight for soap is: Net Weight __ oz (__g)
My soaps vary in weight from 4.3 oz to 4.7 oz so I label mine at 4.0 oz. Soaps that might sit on my shelf for a year, never drop under 4.0 oz, so I'm still good. Most customers don't look at weight, they will evaluate based on size. A soapmaker friend of mine writes in each individual weight on each bar, but she doesn't make alot of soap.

I don't like the phrase on the label "Made with Earths finest elements". Sodium hydroxide is man made, so it isn't made with "natural" ingredients as the label implies. Also if you use mica colorants or FO's, those aren't natural either. If you do decide to keep it, I think it should be fixed to "Earth's" as there is only one Earth, and your are giving ownership of the elements to Earth. (Maybe 1 in 5 people will notice this or even care... but a typo or misspelling on my own labels will drive me nuts!)

On your ingredient list, they must be listed most to least by weight. So unless you are adding more tea tree oil then water and lye, your order is wrong.

I also don't like the phrase earths finest elements, makes me think of dirt and minerals. Also sounds like a market ploy which I don't care for.

I agree with the above. If you're going to sell it's only makes sense to do thing properly. I believe in honesty and being up front. I don't claim anything with my products. Other than vegan or not. I list all ingredients carefully in the correct order. Making labels simple and eye-catching without a lot of unnecessary stuff on them. My soap are close to 5.5 oz. I label them 5 oz, I weigh them all from each batch to see if anything falls or may fall below that and adjust my labels for that batch accordingly by the lowest weight.

Latest posts

Back