Does this ingredient list make sense?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...this discussion was good.

Does anyone else have any comments on my OP question? It wasn't just about the ACV but if the rest of the ingredients made any sense in the order that they are listed.

They don't make sense in that order. I think it's probably not possible to get it to come out that way if you label correctly. How it looks to me is that all the liquids are listed first, then the oils.

The ACV would not work in place of a rinse, since it's immediately neutralized by the lye. Since it's not a distilled vinegar, it would add some miscellaneous ingredients but I would guess the only one that would affect the soap in a significant way is the sodium acetate created by the neutralization of the vinegar. It would be similar to adding sodium lactate.

As has been pointed out, the vinegar would get together with some of the lye and result in a higher superfat, unless they took that into account.

I found this shampoo bar on etsy. I am assuming that these ingredients are in descending order:

Apple cider vinegar, Goat milk, Goat milk kefir, Raw honey, Castor oil, Olive oil, Lard, Shea butter, Nettle powder, Rosemary, Peppermint, Tea tree, Bentonite clay

I did not know that you could use ACV in soap! Even more surprising is that it is the first ingredient...in greatest quantity.

Does it look like the ingredients are NOT listed in order of quantity? I can't imagine there being more honey or castor oil in it than OO or lard....

Who knows what people make. Does it make sense maybe to some but not to use in the forum. The Castor would be very high in this instance but can be done. By itself Castor lends no lather and is a little sticky, lard does not give high lather, shea kills lather and Olive oil will kick up some lather using it on hair since it will have friction. In my opinion this is not in order. I would guess the list would be lard, olive oil, shea butter and castor, making a lousy bar for hair but would be an okay body bar.

Thanks...I have never heard of using goat milk kefir in a soap. Has anyone here used it? What properties would it have over plain goat milk?

Thanks...I have never heard of using goat milk kefir in a soap. Has anyone here used it? What properties would it have over plain goat milk?

The reason people consume kefir is for its probiotic properties. Probiotic is defined as "usually dairy food or a dietary supplement containing live bacteria that replace or add to the beneficial bacteria normally present in the gastrointestinal tract." After reacting with lye and not being consumed I think it's just label appeal and adds nothing to the soap.

After reacting with lye and not being consumed I think it's just label appeal and adds nothing to the soap.

Now, I am thinking that the ACV could be there for label appeal, too, because in my ignorant mind, my first thought was, "Wow!! ACV already built-in to eliminate the ACV rinse!! And the kefir that she made herself sounded very impressive, too.

Back