Does this goat milk recipe sound ok?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
i found a recipe for goat's milk soap i want to try. its:
16oz goat milk
6.5 oz lye
8oz palm oil
17 oz coconut oil
17 oz olive oil

does that sounds like it will make good soap? also if i wanted to add some ground up oatmeal and honey, how much and when would i add them to the soap?

why? what happens with honey? im just curious....ive used honey in other soaps and i didnt have a problem but i have not tried it with goat milk yet

I've used honey & oatmeal in my GM soaps with no problems at all - I agree that you should first do GM soap plain just to see how things work, but IMO there's no problem with adding honey. I add honey & oatmeal at trace.

How are you planning on adding the GM? Are you using 100% GM or the 50/50 method?

ETA - if you do the CPOP process, then yes, your batch could overheat. I soap at about 90* or so and don't insulate my molds at all. I just pour and let them sit on the counter.

I use 100% GM frozen and add the lye to the frozen chunks. My receipe calls for more olive oil than yours. I can't recall the exact amounts, so I'll look it up when I get home.

Your recipe will make for a very hard bar (if I'm reading soap calc correctly) - Here's the numbers I got when running your recipe:

Hardness 48 29 - 54
Cleansing 27 12 - 22
Conditioning 47 44 - 69
Bubbly 27 14 - 46
Creamy 21 16 - 48
Iodine 49 41 - 70
INS 174 136 - 165

I think your recipe is 0% superfat while your soap coconut oil contribution is very high. Thus I think you should SF about 5% or 10% of a very soft oil to reduce drying skin.

Latest posts

Back