Does shea butter contribute to DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
I have a lot of soaps on the go in my bathroom and, as a result, they don't get used very often. I have noticed that two of the soaps have developped DOS whereas the other soaps from the same batch which are in my soaping room have no DOS. Also, the two soaps with DOS happen to contain shea butter whereas the others don't. I was wondering what the cause of DOS in my bathroom soaps. Is it shea butter? Is it daylight? Is it both? I am puzzled. I hope it's not shea butter because I really like it in soaps.

Shea butter has a 2 year shelf life, I believe. I use Shea in all of my soaps and have never experienced DOS with them. What is your SF? Have they ever touched metal? What are your other oils? Could be many factors.
My SF is usually 3% and no, the soaps don't touch metal. The other oils are generally castor, coconut, olive and palm.

I use Shea Butter in all my soaps and 5% Super Fat and haven't had any issues with DOS and there is soap all over my house...garage, kitchen, bathroom, etc. I even have two bars sitting on my desk, the oldest is over two years old.

What FO or EO did you use? Also, unlike the soaps in your soaping room, the soaps in your bathroom are exposed to direct water contact at least when being used. If you have hard water, that can contribute to DOS, especially if the soaps are kept in a poorly-drained area of the sink or shower.

whereas the other soaps from the same batch which are in my soaping room have no DOS. Also, the two soaps with DOS happen to contain shea butter whereas the others don't
I’m not trying to be a PITA, but how can some soaps contain Shea, while others do not, yet still be from the same batch?

I’m not trying to be a PITA, but how can some soaps contain Shea, while others do not, yet still be from the same batch?
Sorry, I did not express myself very well! What I meant was that the other soaps in the bathroom do not contain shea butter and the only two that contain shea butter have DOS. In my soaping room, none of the soaps have DOS whether they contain shea butter or not. :)

What FO or EO did you use? Also, unlike the soaps in your soaping room, the soaps in your bathroom are exposed to direct water contact at least when being used. If you have hard water, that can contribute to DOS, especially if the soaps are kept in a poorly-drained area of the sink or shower.
I used an FO from Nurture Soaps called Juicy pear. The soaps are kept dry in proper soap dishes with holes at the bottom. However, we do have hard water here. I did not know that hard water can contribute to DOS.

I used an FO from Nurture Soaps called Juicy pear. The soaps are kept dry in proper soap dishes with holes at the bottom. However, we do have hard water here. I did not know that hard water can contribute to DOS.
I believe hard water is more likely to contribute to DOS if the soaps are left standing in it. But it is my understanding that this is possible even if the soaps are used in hard water. Storing in high humidity, which can include bathrooms, can also contribute.

I’m sure you know this, but I’ll mention it for others who may be reading this post, that using chelators in your soap can help.

I believe hard water is more likely to contribute to DOS if the soaps are left standing in it. But it is my understanding that this is possible even if the soaps are used in hard water. Storing in high humidity, which can include bathrooms, can also contribute.

I’m sure you know this, but I’ll mention it for others who may be reading this post, that using chelators in your soap can help.
Yes, I always use chelators. At the moment, I use EDTA and sodium gluconate. I have also used citric acid in the past.

As for DOS on those two soaps. it's a mystery. Perhaps it is the humidity in my bathroom and the hard water but then again the other soaps don't have it...

Wow yes, definitely a mystery then! Since you have what sounds like good ingredients and process, I’m guessing there was some random contamination somewhere along the way. I don’t think it is possible to avoid this in a non-lab setting, even with the best of practices.

things like calcium and copper can cause it , do you use tap water ? somthing is oxidizing.
I use mineral water to make all my soaps but I use tap water when washing. So, maybe there is something in the tap water which would explain while the other soaps from the same batch (in my soap room) are still OK. But then,we are back to the mystery: why are the other soaps in my bathroom OK? They should all have DOS...

@nframe, I'm so curious why you use mineral water to make your soap, since most of us use demineralized (distilled) water based on the recommendation to avoid minerals and thus reduce the chance of DOS. I see that you don't experience much DOS in general; do you find that the mineral water adds a specific positive quality to your soaps?

I hope that doesn't come across as argumentative. I'm an information junkie and always want to know why why why. :)

@nframe, I'm so curious why you use mineral water to make your soap, since most of us use demineralized (distilled) water based on the recommendation to avoid minerals and thus reduce the chance of DOS. I see that you don't experience much DOS in general; do you find that the mineral water adds a specific positive quality to your soaps?

I hope that doesn't come across as argumentative. I'm an information junkie and always want to know why why why. :)
I use mineral water because it is so much cheaper than distilled water. Also, I find it in the supermarket. I don't find it adds anything particular to the soaps, it's just a question of finances... :)

Hi. I think you misunderstood the reason that Distilled Water is used in soap making. It is because it has the minerals/metals removed because they are the culprit in soaps developing DOS. Cheaper is not the way to go because they are like Apples & Oranges. Not interchangeable. Mineral Water is just that - full of Minerals. I do not think that Mineral Water should be used. Just my opinion. I’ve been wrong before! Blessings!

I agree with you, @SoapLover1 but the interesting thing is that @nframe uses mineral water in all soaps, yet only a few have DOS. I'd probably choose to use filtered tap water over purchased mineral water, since filter pitchers are very inexpensive here, and my water isn't very hard. But those filters don't remove all the minerals present in tap water, either. Tough choices to make when finances are limited.

Hi. I think you misunderstood the reason that Distilled Water is used in soap making. It is because it has the minerals/metals removed because they are the culprit in soaps developing DOS. Cheaper is not the way to go because they are like Apples & Oranges. Not interchangeable. Mineral Water is just that - full of Minerals. I do not think that Mineral Water should be used. Just my opinion. I’ve been wrong before! Blessings!
Thank you for this. What about spring water? Is that any good?

Back