Does salt soap gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercupsoaps

Reaction score
Ok, this is really getting frustrating :x I'm either stupid or just plain clueless! I tried making salt soap twice now...........and I'm not able to get it to gel........whats up with that? Does anyone know why this is happening? The first time all my salt sunk to the bottom of my mold. When I cut it it was really crumbly as you can guess......at the bottom(log mold) Tried rebatching :roll: that doesn't work at all.........totally crumbly!
Tried making another recipe...........same thing :cry: I'm going to figure out how to make this, I'm sure, Anyone know a starter recipe for salt soap. I bad at percentages & discounts.....still a beginer at this.

Ugh - I understand your frustration well.

I add my salt at a medium to thick trace and it doesn't sink to the bottom. I also use a very fine salt that seems to mix better than thicker salts have for me.

Mine gel in a heartbeat. However - I think the salt makes it look just different enough that it is hard to tell. And - you don't want them to sit too long before cutting because you'll need a jackhammer.

If yours do not gel - they will be fine. The saponification will happen whether it gels or not - but ungelled soaps can take up to 48 hours to complete that process.

Marr

salt soap gel

Thanks marr. I remember the thicker trace. Not sure 'bout the recipe I have guess I'll try plain coconut oil & see what happens.

What recipe did you use?

I made up a batch and paul helped me figure out what would make it better for next time. More or less mostly coconut oil, and some castor oil to help with lather. And your butters to help counteract the high coconut oil so it won't be so drying on the skin.........

and salt at thick trace so it keeps suspended.

Mine gel. As soon as I get full gel, off with the top and hit it with a fan to cool. As mentioned, a fully geled salt soap is ready to use faster and are very hard!

Paul....

Soapmaker Man said:
As mentioned, a fully geled salt soap is ready to use faster and are very hard!

Paul....

Do you find this with only salt bars or all soaps?

geling salt soap

I'm attempting :oops: Pauls recipe w/ percentages....but some of the ingr. I have on hand. ...........but as I said, I get really confused w/ that. I think in oz. , not used to percents. I'll try using only coconut oil & maybe some shea butter w/olive oil. Trying to make a 4 lb. batch. Is it important to watch the temps. before adding lye solution to fats, like all CP soaps?

salt soap gel

Lane :p This is the first time I've ever had a soap never gel :( Ive been making soaps now just over a year. But never tried adding anything to it. (as in; herbs, salts, clay or whatever) just always put ingred. together, measure in oz. then grab mms lye calc. to figure lye. if it feels good I keep the recipe.........or change it and add more moisturizing oils/butters. That kind of thing............. :wink: The same way I bake or cook.....tee hee.

My personal opinion while ungeled soap is eventually as good as a geled soap, by reducing your liquids to soap at a 33% solution, and letting all soap achieve full gel, they are smoother, creamier, and ready to use at least a week or more sooner than ungeled soaps. You do need to use a tad bit more fo or eo since it burns off a bit more during the saponification process. I just love my goat milk geled soap. With my new cutter with a wavy face! 8)

Paul....

Back