Does Patchouli EO discolour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch that discolored and I'm suspecting patchouli (at 40% of the blend) was the main culprit, though it also contained some orange which probably also played a part. A general indicator is the color of the EO out of the bottle. The darker the EO, the more chance of discoloration. It won't discolor as much as vanilla FO though! My discolored soap still turned out rather creamy after cure (though not castile creamy, more like cocoa butter creamy). I'm just avoiding large amounts of patchouli with soaps I want to turn out white, blue or purple.

This is the only picture I could find of the discolored soap: you can see the white part isn't very white..
photo_editor_1539633055355.jpg

I have a batch that discolored and I'm suspecting patchouli (at 40% of the blend) was the main culprit, though it also contained some orange which probably also played a part. A general indicator is the color of the EO out of the bottle. The darker the EO, the more chance of discoloration. It won't discolor as much as vanilla FO though! My discolored soap still turned out rather creamy after cure (though not castile creamy, more like cocoa butter creamy). I'm just avoiding large amounts of patchouli with soaps I want to turn out white, blue or purple.

This is the only picture I could find of the discolored soap: you can see the white part isn't very white..
View attachment 35737
Thank you for that - that colour looks fine to me, I just don't want brown!

I use patchouli in a few of my soaps and I can't say that I've noticed any discoloration.
Interesting! Maybe it was the orange that did it then? I kept my base oils rather light, but the EO blend was brown so I assumed it was the patchouli. Thanks for sharing @Misschief

I'm a bit of a dummy because I just remembered that I used a 50/50 Orange and patchouli EO in that impression soap I made and it didn't discolour. I wonder what will happen if I add a bit of cassia and amber FO? Or should I not go there?

I use patchouli in a few of my soaps and I can't say that I've noticed any discoloration.

Same here, @KiwiMoose , although there were not any white or cream areas on those particular soaps, it didn't turn my colors brown or brownish, or seem to have any effect. It didn't accelerate, either.

I also use a very dark aged patchouli that will make my batter a cream color. I use it at 6% by itself

mmmm, that sounds scrumptious!! Does it actually state "aged"? It sounds expensive. I had to replace my patchouli last week, and was properly shocked at the huge price jump since last time I purchased it (a few years ago, I think).

Back