Does orange EO accelerate trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Gurl

Reaction score
Tonight I made a batch of soap. It was my normal recipe. I brought it to a light trace, added 2 oz of 10x orange EO and 1oz vanilla FO to a 3lb batch. I hand mix in my fragrance and it seized before I could get it all mixed in. I persevered and ended up smashing it all in the mold, in the end I was scooping it out in pieces and adding it. Not sure it will stick together but I will find out tomorrow. I soap at 25% water, which is around 12oz. I decided to reduce it by 2 more oz. Not sure any amount of water would have helped. Right after I soap a lime EO and spearmint EO with no issues.

Orange eo has never, ever accelerated trace for me, and I use it frequently.

I would blame the vanilla FO.

I wondered about the vanilla FO. I used it with some lemon EO and tangerine EO 2 months ago though, and in the same recipe. It worked fine then. I wonder if the orange EO being 10x makes any difference?

I don't think so, soapygirl. The essential oils seem to be very loose and flowing in soap (except for cinnamon, sometimes cloves). These make for a fast trace.

Vanilla fo, for me, always traces way too quickly. To compensate, I don't do any water discounts, (i.e. use the full water stated in recipe), bring my soap to a very light trace before adding it, just stick-blend enough to get it well mixed, then stir and pour into mold as quickly as my hands can work.

Good luck!

Thanks Woodi, I am going to chuck that particular vanilla. I have had it for a long time and I also mixed them together before adding. I am going to add my fragrances much more slowly now too. It is a fabulous smelling orange and I am glad to hear it isn't that. I hope it survives the rebatching!

Back