Does oatmilk harden soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I've only made two batches of soap with oatmilk in them, and they both came out MUCH harder than I would have expected from their recipe. I used similar recipes, but not exactly the same. I didn't use anything additives other than what I normally use. Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you mean they eventually got harder on the long run, or the hardening/curing had a steeper onset?
The latter is in line with other reports from cereals accelerating the early stages of curing (thinking of triple rice soap in particular), as well as my own sole experience with oat milk, that was to unmould much quicker than I expected, and the apparently quick way through curing tripled my impatience to give it a try.

I made it today (HP) and it hardened so quickly that I cut it while it was still warm. I was afraid if I waited much longer I wouldn't be able to. The previous batch got very hard eventually, but I don't remember it getting hard as fast as this one did. Today's recipe showed a hardness of only 39 and this seemed more like bars I've made that were a 48 on the hardness scale.

Could it be the starch content making the soap harden faster, similar to adding sugar makes soap batter trace faster and easier to gel?

That's one of the theories in the Triple Rice thread too. But in case of oat milk, it depends on the source. @Ugeauxgirl Do you make the oat milk yourself, or do you use bought oat milk (where usually the starch is broken down to sugars, to add some sweet taste and doesn't sediment)?

Specifically with HP, there is the theory that the starch just gelatinises (as in pudding), and contributes to a high initial hardness in this way. But then again, IIRC similar effects have been reported from CP rice soap (unclear if it made it through gel phase).

@ResolvableOwl I made it myself. I'm pleased with the results, I was just wondering if it was repeatable- like rice water, which I sometimes use now with softer soaps.

Do you think that an additive like rice (or perhaps oatmeal) makes a soap longer lasting, or, since it seems to make them more bubbly (and therefore more soluble- like sugar) does it contribute to the soap dissolving faster?

Last edited:
Oof, I have no idea. Made Triple Rice (well, technically only Double Rice) only once as well, and no occasion yet to compare soap with oat/rice with that without. It'd be an interesting comparison in any case!

Self made oat milk means that you'll have a lot of starch and little sugar, quite similar to rice indeed.

Do you think that an additive like rice (or perhaps oatmeal) makes a soap longer lasting, or, since it seems to make them more bubbly (and therefore more soluble- like sugar) does it contribute to the soap dissolving faster?

I have made soap using the following additions: rice water, rice congee, rice powder, rejuvalac, finely ground oatmeal; not all in the same soap. Rejuvalac is a fermented liquid made from grain that I drink, and it varies based on the grain used. When I use it in soap, it is a water replacement in my lye solution. Same for rice water, in that it is water replacement in lye solution. I cannot say either contributed to a longer lasting bar of soap, bubble, yes.

As for the powdered additives, rice powder, oatmeal, both made my soap more scratchy, although some don't experience that, but my skin perceives these additives as rough. Does the soap last longer because I avoid the scratchy? Or does it last longer for some other reason? I think it's because I avoid the scratchy and use another soap more often, leaving that scratchy one alone more often than not. (Just so you know, my skin finds many things more scratchy that others do, so it/I may be a personal anomaly.)

What I find is that the rice soaps are significantly harder than the same soap made using the same formula (except not rice derivatives), but not longer lasting when in use. Other liquid substitute soaps I've made or used don't seem to be harder or longer lasting.

One caveat has to be, that to compare soaps with or without a particular additive or water substitute, the rest of the formula has to be the same, otherwise it would not be a fair comparison. So I would suggest that when you make a soap with a particular additive, you also make a control soap of the same formula without the additive and then test them against each other for a true comparison.

Good advice Earlene. I too make a rice soap (with rice water and rice slurry) and I do think it is harder than my regular soap. I reckon my oat milk soap is softer ( with oat milk and ground oats), if anything, to my regular soap. I use the same recipe for most of my soaps, just switching different additives, so i think it makes a good comparison.

Back