Does it get better than this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I have read through so many posts and comments here that I can't remember where I read this, but someone told a beginning soaper that they should really test their soap at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, ect... so that they can get a feel for the changes and how much better it gets. Well last week was week one for my first batch which was50% lard, 30% olive oil, 15% coconut oil, and 5% castor oil. I first zap tested and no jolt, so then I tested it in the shower and was impressed with the lather and soap overall. This week, I used the same sliver and tested again and wow, I love this soap. It lathers nicely and just leaves my skin feeling really good. So, my question is can it really get that much better in the next two to four weeks? (I am "testing" with the edge of one corner that fell off when I unmolded)

Yes. Yes it does. :)

If you've been using commercial soaps, you are used to them - very harsh and drying. So even new homemade soap is good by comparison! I've been using only homemade soap for 10+ years in my home (travel with a bar, too!) so when I am out an washing my hands with store-bought, I am always surprised by how BAD it is.

Can wholeheartedly agree with soap getting better!

Actually funny to read this today, of all days, because today I took out a bar that is around 8 months old or so.
I cut off a piece to test, to wash up before dinner and see how it was. It was with olive, coconut, sheabutter, beeswax and some castor.

It was really fun to do, it smelled really good still (fragrance, not essential oil, so it kept its scent), it almost lathered up before I got it wet and was a really lovely piece of soap. Haven`t tried this bar in many months, and although I was (and are still) happy with my recipe, it got even better.
A good cure isn`t an alternative, it is an absolute must!

It's insane how much better soap can get. I made a beer soap from a test recipe that I really disliked so just stashed away. Over a year later, I stumbled across it and decided to shred the batch to make room. Thankfully I was interrupted on the first bar and had to wash my hands. It was like magic had transformed it into an awesome bar of soap while sitting at the bottom of a cupboard.

If time can turn a disappointment into a fabulous bar - imagine what it does to a really nice one!

After reading so much about salt soaps on here, I had to make one. I made it and of course tried it within a week...I was not terribly impressed.

"It's not cured." I said to myself. "You must be patient."

Away to the curing rack it went. I pulled it out a few more times tried it and shook my head sadly. Finally after about a month, again it was OK but I wasn't blown away.

"It needs more time, a few months at least." I said as I packaged it up and tucked it away.

I forgot about the little salt soaps tucked away on my shelf until recently. It was about 4 months old and I decided it was time to try again. I spent the next week talking about how wonderful this soap was to anyone who would listen.

"But you don't understand, the lather! You MUST try this! Come with me now, we shall go to the bathroom and I will share this joy with you."

A few weeks later I've given a bunch away, made more and come to the realization that the cured soap I have will not last until the new stuff is ready.

I've turned into this now:

53997756.jpg

Originally Posted by Stacy View Post

"But you don't understand, the lather! You MUST try this! Come with me now, we shall go to the bathroom and I will share this joy with you."

I have actually said this very thing sister!!

I said something similar to my boyfriend the other day when I was testing out a new batch. I went over to him and showed him how nice the bubbles were. His response: "Are there even different kinds of bubbles?" -_-

On a side note, I'm at the two week stage with my first salt bar. Not impressed right now, but I know it's supposed to get better. Being patient is hard.

Keep testing every week for at least 8 weeks. Then make another batch and test a 1 week piece against an 8 week piece of the first batch. Then you will know why we cringe when someone says they sell 1 week old soap.

[commences head shaking] I get nervous just flipping 1 week old soap on the cure rack - I can't imagine putting it into someone else's hands. It's so soft yet... not to mention the quality of the soap.

Testing my first batch and watching it change was the best hands on education about how soap works.

Latest posts

Back