Does Honey work in M&P soap ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWSoap

Reaction score
Hi I want to make some honey and oatmeal melt and pour soap I did one batch last week but it felt like a bit slimy is this because I put too much honey ?

Hi I want to make some honey and oatmeal melt and pour soap I did one batch last week but it felt like a bit slimy is this because I put too much honey ?

I have used brown sugar in clear M&P and it turned out great. Scented it with Raw Honey. It’s a nice honey color from the brown sugar. Made it many months ago and it’s still perfect. This is where I got the idea.
https://www.dominosugar.com/recipe/brown-sugar-vanilla-bar-soap

I wouldn't add honey to MP. It will seep out. If you want honey I would purchase a base that was made with it. Plus it's food for molds/bacteria.
ah ! maybe that's why it felt weird, thank you

I have used brown sugar in clear M&P and it turned out great. Scented it with Raw Honey. It’s a nice honey color from the brown sugar. Made it many months ago and it’s still perfect. This is where I got the idea.
https://www.dominosugar.com/recipe/brown-sugar-vanilla-bar-soap
That looks great , thank you I will have a go

ah ! maybe that's why it felt weird, thank you
I wouldn't add honey to MP. It will seep out. If you want honey I would purchase a base that was made with it. Plus it's food for molds/bacteria.
if the M&P base already has honey in , will it seep out then do you know ...? I saw one recently for sale just wondering how they manage to do it ...?

if the M&P base already has honey in , will it seep out then do you know ...? I saw one recently for sale just wondering how they manage to do it ...?

No because it was made with it and saponified already. Honey can be added to CP/HP soap as you are making soap. MP is already made so adding things to it can cause issues like honey. Also, adding a lot of extra oils/additives will deplete the lather in MP.

No because it was made with it and saponified already. Honey can be added to CP/HP soap as you are making soap. MP is already made so adding things to it can cause issues like honey. Also, adding a lot of extra oils/additives will deplete the lather in MP.
Super helpful , thank you so much :) this site is great

You can add honey and oatmeal but you need to add the honey at 1/2 tsp per pound of soap and make sure the soap is cool enough when you add and pour the oatmeal so it doesn't sink to the bottom. mix in the honey first before adding the oatmeal.

It is absolutely fine to add honey to the plain soap base but dont add too much, please add a very little qty

It is absolutely fine to add honey to the plain soap base but dont add too much, please add a very little qty

No, honey should not be added to MP. It's water soluble and will seep out and is also bug food for molds etc. Plus honey is a humectant and will draw more moisture. If you try it I would do very little in a bar or two.

Back